• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

An other IAC problem

hylix

CEG'er
OK here's the problem:

typical IAC related, but idle returns to normal at stoplights and such. It idels at 3500 if i hold the clutch in between gears, and continues untill the car stops moving.

I replaced the IAC yesterday because of the same problem, the only difference was 2500 RPM not 3500.

So a little background on the car... I replaced the two main o2's about 15K ago, Due to poor MPG, problem corrected (car has 120k on the clock), At about 70k i had some IAC problems, so i pulled the computers fuse, disconnected the IAC hose, started the car, and while it was hunting for idle, i sprayed some barryman's in the manifold where the hose was. that was in 2003, no problem since then (IAC related). about 2000 miles ago i get a CEL P0402 I think, bank one cat not working right. some time shortly after getting the CEL, the IAC starts acting up again, so i replaced it, everything seemed good, i drove to the top of Pikes Peak yesterday(14k feet above sea level), and today i get the same problems again!

Is there somthing else that mimics the typical IAC probs?
oh and while the idle is high, if i let the clutch out it has little affect on acceleration.

Get the CEL codes from Autozone or Advance and post the exact codes.

Did you buy a Ford IAC valve or the exact year and engine? The generic IAC valves have been known to cause problems for our cars.

either way, you should pull the TB off and clean the EGR passages.. .. replace the gasket, reset the PCM and then see what happens.

It is a Ford IAC, but i bought it back in 2003 when i first had the problem, i don't know why i tried cleaning the old one instead of just replacing it, since i had the new valve in hand... the code is from my scantool, i just reset the code, so i cant read it again yet.

Go with Ray's suggestions (for P0402) and then if the CEL gets lighted again, scan and post the exact codes.

I'll try that, but it takes about 400 miles or so? for the code to show up again. (i keep reseting it 'cause the CEL bugs me out) I'll post results as soon as i can.

One more thing I get the sulfur smell on the freeway with the sunroof open.
Could be bad gas :laugh: (oline). Or could be cats failing. Need to get the CEL codes for a better diagnosis.

Back