• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

can it take it?

CarpePoon

Hard-core CEG'er
my brother in law is basicly willing to GIVE me a Kicker 06s12L7 loaded subwoofer enclosure. He has it hooked up to my old JBL BP600.1 which IS one ohm stable. (the amp is not included in the deal.) The subwoofer is a dual 2ohm voice coil which I wired at 1ohm for him when I hooked it all up in his car.
I currently only have a MRD-M501 for a sub amp. This is NOT 1ohm stable, but I dont want to run this sub at 4 ohms (only other wiring option for you noobs). Do you guys think I should risk my M501 by running at 1ohm? you think it can handle it?

Last edited:
well its gonna do one of two things....its gonna run it just fine or it will pop fuses left and right....prolly gonna run hot too...most likely not gonna hurt the amp if you wanted to try and see...just be conservative when setting the gain and see what happens

My opinion, amps aren't cheap. :laugh: You know you're gonna wire it for a way it is not designed for. I've never run an amp that low (impedance wise), so you know better than me how risky it really is, as you are always one of the ones who answers my questions. But my opinion is not to do it.

Why don't you want to run at 4ohms? I'm guessing not enought power from amp at that resistance. :shrug:

why don't you just wire it in series? Since it's a 2 0hm DVC you can wire it to a 4ohm load.
Thanks for reading my post and stating what I already explained! :laugh:

My opinion, amps aren't cheap. :laugh: You know you're gonna wire it for a way it is not designed for. I've never run an amp that low (impedance wise), so you know better than me how risky it really is, as you are always one of the ones who answers my questions. But my opinion is not to do it.

Why don't you want to run at 4ohms? I'm guessing not enought power from amp at that resistance. :shrug:
I guess I should have worded this a little differently. Yes, I do know the "risks" of running a non 1ohm stable amp at 1 ohm. And yes, I want to do it because of power issues at 4ohm vs 1ohm and because I'm a cheapass who wants to take advantage of a deal if it will work.
And yes I have the same thoughts as you, I dont want to test how well my protection features on my amp work by thowing it into a situation it's not designed to handle.
But I do know there are quite a few amps out there which are not "labled" to handle 1ohm but seem to do it effortlessly. I guess that is my real opinion seeking question here. Anybody know if this is one of those amps that can do it? I remember somebody else here was running an Alpine at 1 ohm.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Well, FWIW, my wife has an older Alpine 4ch that was the first amp I ever bought, used in 1994. It still cranks after being in 4 different cars, on of them a convertable Tracker. So they are built very well IMO. Now 1 ohm is kinda pushing the limits a bit, but maybe you're right and they can take it. How old is the amp. I know i LOVE the older Alpine's, but some complain about their quality going down hill a little bit in recent years.

BTW, if you do hook it up, video it. I've never seen an amp catch fire.:shocked: :laugh: Just messin'. I do hope it works out for ya, I'm a bit tightfisted with my $$$ too, as you know about my Panasonic thread.:laugh:

yeah, this unit is from 2004 before Alpine decided to go to bed with Best Buy and take a dump on their retail customers. I havent heard about their quality of product going down, but I know their product and support availability of units has suffered.

Ya it looks only stable to 2. I wouldnt risk pushing the electronics on that thing...

I bet those old d V-12's or maybe an old duo-circuit blackie, could hit 1 ohm but those new A/B's can only do 2 I bet or else you might fry all that DSP stuffs its got on it.....

Run it at 1 ohm if you want to have it overheat and protect itself all the time.... They put the rating there for a reason ya know.... Just wire it to 4 ohm and live with it until you can get a different amp or sub setup...

Tis better to have some sub... then no sub at all....

Just talking to a fellow installer today, who now has 2 triple X 15" subs and 2 Orion amplifiers for them....

Back