• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car dies and wont start

Drink

CEG'er
I have a 96 [FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-0][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Mystique v6 ATX with about 110k on it.

As i was driving home last night and coming around a turn, the car starts to smoke and stumble, then it shuts off. The temp gauge is normal, but i had no coolent. I tried starting it right back up, but it wont turnover. [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-0][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]A friend of mind guessed it could be a fuel pump.

I read a tip about a simuler problem here http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=18020&highlight=fuel

when i tried what was post in that tip, my car started and smoke came out the back, but when i let off the gas it stumbled when shut off. I tried again, but this time i let off the gas a lil so it can stay on, then thats when i seen the RPM gauge not move, after a few seconds it cut off. I tried a 3rd time, but this time the speedo when crazy and i let off the gas and it shuts off.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-0][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]
i check the fuse under the hood and they seem fine and everything power works (radio, windows, lights)

the last thing done to the car as spark plugs, oil and mils. all about month ago.
i been planing on changing the plugs due to misfiring

can anyone guess whats wrong?
[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
also, the smoke seem more like steam because is fogged up my windshield

dont know if that helps

was the smoke coming out the exhaust? white?

sounds like a head gasket. do a compression test on all cylinders and let us know what you get.

if it is the head gasket, about how much is it to replace?
i checked rockauto and it listed them around $50 each (LH & RH). is that about right?

also, how easy is it to replace?

if its not the head gasket, what else could it be?

PS: thx for your help

it could be a cracked or warped head but only if extremly overheated.

IDK how hard it is to replace a headgasket on the duratech as i have a zetec. if no one has posted anything by the time i get home tonight i can look it up on my 97 service CD (you might think about getting one from todras i believe). should be the same as a 96.

i just remembered that when i changed the spark plug, the guy said i needed a new valve cover gasket. could that have anything to do with this?

update

i was able to start the car, keep it running and moved it (not far), then i cut it off.

as it was running, the OD light was blinking on and off, as the light came on the tachometer jumped to 1000...when blinked off, it dropped to 0

after a few sec, the tach stopped then started to work normally

only info i could find about the blinking was something to do with a bad trans, but mine never given me any problems[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

I had an issue similar to the blinking light but mine was with the wipers, they would turn on and off randomly. turns out the wire harness had been chafed and wore the insulation off some of the wires causing shorts. but it sounds like that is the least of your worries. You are going to have to start tearing into the engine compartment soon, I hope that all turns out well, there are a ton of smart people on this board that will help you out, Good luck!!

Back