• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to replace shift cable linkage

97vulcan

CEG'er
I have a 98 CSVT and am interested in replaceing the shift linkage that goes directly to the transmission. I have a lot of play in my shifter, and its not coming from the shift tower, also I have a clicking feel coming from the shifter. it dosen't click every time, but enough to agrivate me. Is this an easy job? Is there a way to check if the shift linkage cables need to be replaced?:shrug:

Thanks,
Adam

How easy is it to check to see of the cable ends or bushings are worn out? Id I feel a little click from time to time when shifting, is this a sign that the bushings could be going?

Thanks,
Adam

probily the plastic hitting the metal. your bushing is probily completly gone. bill at teamford charged me like 17 bucks or something for the cable end, i just took the bushing off the new end and stuck it on the old, but get a sturdy jack and possibly and jackstand cause it takes to hands to press in. once its kinda in i used a small socket and pushed it in with my palm and fingers. i was able to get to mine but just cranking the wheel to the right and its hard to miss the white and orange ends. good luck

Is it just one cable end that I would need to replace?. It makes the clicking feeling when its in neutral. There is alot of front/back play in the shifter, and thats when the clicking can be heard/felt. I don't think its from the shifter itself, because I pulled the boot off, and watched the linkage move.

Also can I visually inspect this without removing the drivers tire?

Thanks,
Adam

Is it just one cable end that I would need to replace?. It makes the clicking feeling when its in neutral. There is alot of front/back play in the shifter, and thats when the clicking can be heard/felt. I don't think its from the shifter itself, because I pulled the boot off, and watched the linkage move.

Also can I visually inspect this without removing the drivers tire?

Thanks,
Adam

Its easier with the tire off, but if you crank the wheel all the way to the right and have a flashlight handy you may be able to check it out with the car on the ground. I know i've had to get down there and shift my car back into gear on the road when I've had the cables break :blackeye: So it's possible

Redlineracer12,

thanks for the info! I'll prolly just take the wheel off. Is it just one cable that needs to be replaced? or is it multiple ends?

Thanks,
Adam

Redlineracer12,

thanks for the info! I'll prolly just take the wheel off. Is it just one cable that needs to be replaced? or is it multiple ends?

Thanks,
Adam

Well hopefully its not your cable that needs to be replaced... Because those can be a pain. But more than likely it's just one of your cable ends has a shot bushing. So you can just buy a cable end from Ford, jimmy rig some sort of rubber hose mount with a clip as I've seen, or pull your end off and find a bushing for it somewhere. I'd just go the Ford route, I don't think they're that expensive if that ends up being your problem.

Edit: Here are some pictures of the white shift cable end that I'd look at right away http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=3642

Make sure your bushing still looks intact and have a friend move the shifter in the car to see if you see any slop in the white cable end on the shift tower.

Edit Edit: If you're bushing is gone it would look like this :laugh:
dcp9908xhj2.jpg

Here's a real cheap fix: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=11271&highlight=bushing+clip

Last edited:
Thanks again! I guess I didn't mean the cable was bad, but how would I know if the bushing was bad? will it be dry rotted out? There is alot of forward/backward slop in the shifter, and a clicking feeling. Are these symtoms of a cable end bushing going bad? how many cable end bushing are there?

Thanks,
Adam

Wow! I think I will just purchase a new cable end if thats my problem. It has a lot of slop, back/front movement, also when its in gear, there is alot of back/front movement. I'll letcha know if this is my problem. I hope it is.

Would I only need to replace this bushing? or are there others that might need to replace?

Adam

Yes inspect the ends and if the bushing is shot or not there get 2 new ones, they are VERY cheap and make a world of differance. I did mine about 5 months ago, and it was a VERY easy job. Took about an hour total and that included removing the wheel and putting it back on ect...

Well I examined the situation, and the bushing was totally gone. Pics to follow. Why should I get two bushings? one for a spare? I called my ford dealership and they said I had to purchase a whole new cable. I couldn't just purchase the bushing or the cable end. Can someone help me out here. Also running the car without the bushing while shifting, will this cause any longterm damage to the transmission? I really want to fix this so I have a tight shifter feel, and just so it will shift better. Can I just put a new bushing in where the old one used to be? or do I have to replace the whole end?

Thanks,
Adam

You cant just get the bushing, you get cable ends, they are cheap. Call Bill Jenkins at 702-395-5100 part #F7RZ-7412-AA & XS8Z-7412-GA I got mine overnighted for a grand total of $23.18.

2m2uouo.jpg

44l0cvm.jpg

And no it wont cause any damage to the tranny or cables, the shifting will just be sloppy till you get new cable ends, then it will be soooooooooooo tight.

And no it wont cause any damage to the tranny or cables, the shifting will just be sloppy till you get new cable ends, then it will be soooooooooooo tight.

but the cable could fall off. Find out which one you need and replace it asap. I would say as long as you're in there you can just replace both of them, if one fell apart from age and use, I'd imagine the other to be in similar condition.

You didn't read all of my thread. I warned you that most Ford parts guys don't seem to know how to read the catalog and feel that you must buy the entire cable. As posted above, Bill Jenkins can get the cable ends by themselves.

In the meantime, take a nylon tie-strap and wrap it around the cable end to hold it in place or you will end up stuck in 2nd gear like I did. At least carry a nylon tie so you can fix it temporarily when it does fall out (and it will). Driving around stuck in 2nd gear is no fun.

Thanks guys for the fast replies. I know for a fact that the bushing is missing on the white cable end, but whats the other one for? I looked for that one, and I think I found it, but the bushing looked fine. Whats the other one (black) for?

thanks,

Adam

The black cable end move the shifter thru the neutral gate. The one that you found with the missing bushing moves the shifter forward and back (1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th, etc.)

I bought both cable ends, but only replaced the white end. I recommend changing the bushing only.

All of this is in the "it finally happened" thread.

Big Jim,

I can replace only the busing with no problems? It won't weaken the bushing removing and installing it? I read the "it finally happened" thread and it seems pretty streight forward. What keeps the bushing in place in the cable end? And BTW what do you mean moves the shifter through the neutral gate. What is the neutral gate?

Thanks again!

Adam

Back