• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car wont turn over

Ifordman98

CEG'er
The battery is fine, However when i went to start my car today. The fuel pump came on for a split second. None of the warning lamps came on and the car just would not even atempt to turn over.Its a 1998 se V6 contour 5 speed with a PATS key security. What can i do. Its stuck at my gfs house.

Last edited:
Are the battery poles on nice and tight? Try to wiggle and twist them.

Is the red LED rapidly flashing on the dash? If it is, the PATS is activated.

Also, start check the fuses under the hood.

I hope this helps!

Yes, the terminals are good, I can turn on the radio,lights, just about anything. The ACC warning lights will not come on and It will not even attempt to turn over. The strange thing is, The PATS light will not flash rapinal key, and it also wont flash with the 2 dollar spare i made at wal-mart without the chip just to unlock my doors.

thats definetly interesting... i was about to say tell tale starter signs till you mentioned the pats system not flashing. i would say try push starting it. you said you have good power. it may just be the starter. your computer has to be good when i fried mine nothing would work. and i mean nothing... try the push start if it still wont run then its a deeper problem :(

you had mentioned something about your acc warning lights. Does the battery light turn on when you turn the key?

i know i had a battery light for the longest time. Then [long story short], the ghetto electrical work(by previous owners) fried and my alt died. It seems the smallest things can mess up the starting/charging system.

Last edited:
tried to push start it and nothing happened. I had replaced the 7.5 fuse from the inside the car and it started to turn over and it blew again after like 10 seconds and wouldnt start. Funny thing is the warning lamps still never came on.

sounds like you have a short or bad ground somewhere :shrug:. Id start by looking and following the positive and ground lines for the battery, alt., and starter.

Let me start from the begining, i had a new clutch put in by my school everything aparently went well.... I came up to check on it and it wasnt firing. There was fuel not sure if there was spark. I came back to check on it again and the had it started. when i asked what it was i received an unclear answer everytime. Couple weeks ago one of the student was talking to me and said that they were checking the injector harnesses and stuck a paper clip in it? and aparently never took it out. He said that it wont effect anything?.... well i took it apart, didnt find anything wrong and it seemed that everything was fine except it wouldnt fire just like at school. Can anyone please help me, my car is stranded.

i bet they fried your PCM. which fuse did you replace? i know you said 7.5 amp inside but which one?

that fuse controls the "instrument cluster, air bag diagnostic module, power antenna, instrument interface module" for 97's. if you have a power antenna unplug it, replace the fuse (if you can find a circuit breaker do that for testing purposes) and try to start it. if the breaker doesnt blow then you know the short is somewhere in the power antenna circuit.

however i suspect that, cause you mentioned you have no indicator lights,
the problem is either in the PCM (possible if the were backprobing injectors) or the gauge cluster (not as likely)

the part about the fuse blowing after about 10seconds makes me think it might be the power antenna though so eliminate that first.

I dont have a power antenna but i took the uim apart took a look at the fuel rail, saw nothing. put everything back together and everything works except it wont fire. All the warning lamps come up, the starter keeps turning and i can hear the feul pump.....

Is the engine spinning very fast when you crank it? Maybe you "washed out" the cylinders and lost compression.

Try pushing the gas pedal all the way down and cranking (this shuts off the fuel injectors).

If that doesn't work, remove one or two spark plugs, squirt one tablespoon of oil in each cylinder, reinstall SP and try cranking again. But don't step on the gas pedal.

Back