• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Overheating, help please!

Yawak

CEG'er
well, with the a/c on and it's 105+ degrees, it would start to heat up. but without the a/c on in the same weather it would be okay. any ideas what i should look into first? although i have recently changed the coolant since i blew radiator hose a few weeks back.

okay, i'll check and see if that fan runs with the a/c on and let u know, but i already am running the cooler thermostat. hopefully the thermostat hasn't gone bad. :shrug:

checked on the a/c fan turning off and on with a/c, and it did. gonna order a new thermostat today. any other things i should look for? just in case....

Well actually I never use it in traffic either, I only use it on the highway, the car has way less power with it on and when I have four people in the car it's barely drivable with the a/c on.

how can i tell if my radiator is clogged?

Like I said, check the condition of your coolant. If it is cruddy, flush it out and get some good stuff in. Even a clear water flush usually removes radiator build-up or most of it.

Checking to see if the radiator is clogged is not so easy. In the old days you could remove the radiator cap and look at the rate of flow, but no cap on the radiator on our cars. You can remove both upper and lower hoses and run water through and see how well it flows. It may not tell you much if it is mildly clogged. You can use an infra-red temp gun and check the temperature in and out of the radiator to see if you get the expected temperature drop. This may still only tell you that a fan isn't working properly. If you can find access to the front of the radiator (a/c condenser is usually in the way), you can feel the radiator for hot and cold spots. You probably cannot find hot or cold spots with an infra-red temperature gun with the a/c condenser in the way.

what happens to what hose, when u flush it??? :shrug: :confused:

Read Loggerboms signature:

I was in the Home Depot a couple weeks ago shopping for a garden hose. I was tempted to buy the one from the shelf labeled, "150 ft Kink Free Ho". - WingBender

That's the hose I suggested he would have an excess to return and purchase.

Back