• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Water Gauge problem

posthuman63t

Veteran CEG'er
I put in my autometer water gauge today and when I start the car the needle immediatly jumps all the way over to the hot side of the gauge. The only thing I did different was use 20 gauge wire instead of 18 gauge wire. (seen that note after the install) If anyone came upon this problem before or might know what happened, then drop a reply in that little box below. Thanks guys.

I put in my autometer water gauge today and when I start the car the needle immediatly jumps all the way over to the hot side of the gauge. The only thing I did different was use 20 gauge wire instead of 18 gauge wire. (seen that note after the install) If anyone came upon this problem before or might know what happened, then drop a reply in that little box below. Thanks guys.

I ran into this problem with a stock gauge. The needle immediately went to hot on the first startup and i traced it to the sender being broken. Replaced it with one out of another coolant set i had and all was well.

Do these reply's go for this situation al well? The needle will actually jump on a cold start up to about 200, then slowely (another 30 seconds or so) will climb to the right side. I assume its a bad sender. Time to find a new one. Anyone know if autometer offers a warranty of any kind?

Back