• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

worrying noise

mondyst24

New CEG'er
hi all hope you can help i have the mondeo st24 (uk version of the contour v6) and when going uphill and putting your foot down you can hear a sort of grinding noise coming from the n/s/f and is loud with the window down going passed walls and alike cheers.

I may be half asleep, or something.. and I apologize... but could you explain what the "n/s/f" is?

I'd suspect (since you can hear it more when next to walls and bridges, etc) that you should look in to wheel bearing/cv joint problems.

jack up one tire of the car.

grab the wheel at 9 and 3 oclock and push in and out (like you are trying to physically "turn" the wheel like the steering wheel would) and movement in that area can indicate a bad tie-rod, though usually not "grinding".

now, grab the wheel at 12 and 6 oclock. repeat the motion of flexing in and out. any motion indicates a bad wheel bearing. a How-to is in the Duratec Maintenance forum under the "read-first" thread.

repeat the process for the other suspect wheel.

hi all hope you can help i have the mondeo st24 (uk version of the contour v6) and when going uphill and putting your foot down you can hear a sort of grinding noise coming from the n/s/f and is loud with the window down going passed walls and alike cheers.

does it sound kinda like rushing air? Does it go away when you get to higher revs?

hi yes it sounds like rushing air and gose away the higher the revs get and sounds like when your srewing a crisp packet up thanks.

I may be half asleep, or something.. and I apologize... but could you explain what the "n/s/f" is?

I'd suspect (since you can hear it more when next to walls and bridges, etc) that you should look in to wheel bearing/cv joint problems.

jack up one tire of the car.

grab the wheel at 9 and 3 oclock and push in and out (like you are trying to physically "turn" the wheel like the steering wheel would) and movement in that area can indicate a bad tie-rod, though usually not "grinding".

now, grab the wheel at 12 and 6 oclock. repeat the motion of flexing in and out. any motion indicates a bad wheel bearing. a How-to is in the Duratec Maintenance forum under the "read-first" thread.

repeat the process for the other suspect wheel.

n/s/f is near side front, they use these terms here in england ? The thing is near side front would be the drivers side in an american car, and the offside is the passanger side on american cars, even though the steerin wheel is on the right here in england :shrug:

hi yes it sounds like rushing air and gose away the higher the revs get and sounds like when your srewing a crisp packet up thanks.

yup, thats a common sound, it almost sounds like a light grinding, but it goes away as soon as you pass something like 3000 rpms.

my contour does it also, I believe its just clutch chatter, I hear a lot of built 3L SVT's make that sound too.

n/s/f is near side front, they use these terms here in england ? The thing is near side front would be the drivers side in an american car, and the offside is the passanger side on american cars, even though the steerin wheel is on the right here in england :shrug:

We just say driver side or passenger side. And since you are in england we can figure out that you have right hand drive (The way its supposed to be)

Last edited:
Back