• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mystique Rear Dome Light

Big Jim

Hard-core CEG'er
Does anyone know the correct bulb number for the rear dome light for a Mystique? I bought a used one to install in my SVT, but it is missing the bulb. It is otherwise installed (including wiring). Any help would be appreciated.

For future reference, a 5008 bulb works great. It is the correct base, a small enough bulb to not burn the lens, and the correct 10w output.

The dome light fixture has 10w marked on it, as does the front dome light. With that knowledge I took the fixture into a parts store and checked the specs on bulbs that looked like the correct physical size.

Everything works great. It's how the car should have been built.

Good to know the bulb number. I pulled my dome light from a junkyard Mystique which had a working bulb that is still working now. I did my install last year and it was the best mod I've done to the car yet.

It's time to start thinking about a hood light, glove box light, and door handle lights.

I need to get my glove box light installed. I have everything sitting around waiting for install since the spring. :blackeye:

Door handle lights next summer for me I think.

hey tony, wanna collab and put together an official interior bulb size/replacement faq? I have all your info and some of mine in a txt document somewheres...

Everything works great. It's how the car should have been built.

Roger that my friend,
Now that you have done that easy install, did you know that the 00's, w/o moon roof, have the center dome light with the 2 spots! I had half a notion to see if that could be installed so the spots pointed toward the rear :laugh:

I got one out of a 00 and haven't desided what to do with it yet, as I also have a couple of the Mystique lights. My wife wouldn't like the center dome one, but I could most likely install the rear Mystique w/o her realizing it (if I just left it in the off position) :laugh:

Just something more to think about,
AF

Not really. The 1156 has the same base but the bulb area is larger and could tend to burn the lens. The 1157 is a dual filament bulb and the offset key knobs won't go into the receptacle without damaging something. It also has the larger bulb that would be too close to the lens.

did anyone ever make a how to? I've had one sitting on my shelf since my first tour, but i just don't feel confident enough in dropping the headliner and cutting a hole in it...partly cause i don't know how the hell to drop this headliner with the moon roof.

I didn't try to drop the entire headliner. I don't have a moonroof, but I still think it isn't necessary.

All I dropped was the back and some of the driver's side. The back can be dropped by removing the two retainer pins. The pins are two piece. The colored portion that matches the headliner color can be pulled straight out leaving the black portion. The colored portion of the pin expands the stem of the black part. Once the colored part is removed, the black part can be pulled out and the rear of the headliner pulled down gently.

With that part down, you can find the rectangular hole in the roof brace where the light fixture lines up. The upper part of the fixture fits in here. Carefully measure to find a point on the headliner that is somewhere within that hole. Poke a hole in the headliner at that point. I used an edge of a razor blade but a knife would have also worked well. An X-acto knife would work very well. With the headliner fully pushed up to the ceiling so the hole in the roof brace can be used to define the limits, carve out the rest of the hole in the headliner. I used an old steak knife so I could saw away at it.

Then I removed the left rear grab bar from the ceiling and the B pillar molding (around the seat belt retractor). Also had to peel back the door opening gaskets. Next I removed the front dome light. Make sure you don't break the bezel. Remove the center part first and then remove the screws holding the bezel.

I had to use a fish tape (electricians tool) to feed the wiring from the rear to the front. I had the wiring from a Mystique to the rear. I cut off the portions I didn't need, and spliced the wires from the rear light to the wiring for the front near the connector to the switch.

Your experience may be different.

cutting the headliner is pretty easy ... I doulbe checked on my mystique first but I measured from the back of the headliner to the center of the light and then found the distance between the plastic pins and cut a hole in the headliner. I then worked out until I hit the openning in the roof and then cut it out. All you need to do then is run the wires around the edge of the headliner to the front dome light and connect.

my question is where can I get a white led that is a drop in for the rear dome light?

This is really fairly easy to do. The hole in the back is there in the support, like stated all you need to do is follow around the edge and your done. It is centered betwen the two retainers in the back, and you tie them to the front light at the corner of the "A" pillar up front.

There is a HOW TO about this.

my 2 cents,
AF

Well, I've done the front door pockets (rears need to be manually wired I found), glove box light, and heated mirrors. Just need to find an early Mys. at the JY for the rear dome.

Well, I've done the front door pockets (rears need to be manually wired I found), glove box light, and heated mirrors. Just need to find an early Mys. at the JY for the rear dome.

Doesn't need to be an early Mystique. It was carried over into 98+.

I think it was dropped for 2000 though.

Back