• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The time has come

3L's arent that hard to do now that ive done a couple. do you have a goal for HP numbers? A full swap is a lot easier to do than a split port

I'm not really going for high horsepower, I'm just looking to upgrade from the 2.5 since I am going to have it all apart anyways. My main focus for this car is road course racer/enjoyable street car. A little more HP always helps that. :laugh:

I'm not really going for high horsepower, I'm just looking to upgrade from the 2.5 since I am going to have it all apart anyways. My main focus for this car is road course racer/enjoyable street car. A little more HP always helps that. :laugh:

Keep the 2.5 and talk to Robert Mumm about where he had the race motors built for his cougar and what was all done to them. I had stupid ideas about doing that a few years back. A high revving 2.5 would be a hoot to drive.

yes, but they also idle around 2500rpm

if youre just looking for more power and arent going to go crazy with it i would definately go for the full swap. sell the svt UIM/LIM/cams and your motor is more than paid for

Oval port with SVT intakes.....nuff said. This is the easiest swap for a beginner and will net great numbers as well.

Oval port with SVT intakes.....nuff said. This is the easiest swap for a beginner and will net great numbers as well.
That is what I plan on doing right now. I will be using the SVT cams and intakes while porting out the 3L heads to match. It doesn't look that hard and from what people have told me...it's not. The hardest part is the porting and the tune. I also like the idea of keeping some part of the motor "SVT".

The hardest part is the porting and the tune.

I wouldn't think the tune would be that hard if you're working with warmonger. At least that's what I've been seeing. Hell, I've considered getting a tune on the 2.5 once the headers are installed just because there may be some hp to unlock. My last dyno showed I was a little lean down low, so I'm hoping that can be adjusted for some benefit.

Hell, I've considered getting a tune on the 2.5 once the headers are installed just because there may be some hp to unlock. My last dyno showed I was a little lean down low, so I'm hoping that can be adjusted for some benefit.
FWIW, I think Mark noticed a drop in MPG when he had his tune on his SVT. Not sure if that matters or not, but I remembered him saying something about that. My point also was that this swap isn't as hard as it first appears. I thought it was going to be a PITA, but by some simple searching I found that with a little patience and an air dremel you should be just fine :laugh:

FWIW, I think Mark noticed a drop in MPG when he had his tune on his SVT. Not sure if that matters or not, but I remembered him saying something about that.

And I would expect that if the tune makes the a/f more rich. Since the SVT is the garage queen that doesn't bother me too much.

Back