• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

02 Sensor help.....

lilsvt

New CEG'er
Hey all.....Whats the easiest way to change Bank 1 Sensor 1 02 sensor. I was throwing a couple cel and they were related to a bad sensor. I double checked with Stazi and he said it was the 02 sensor.

Do you recomend taking the ignition box off or going in from under the car?? What a pain in the butt to reach. A 5 Minutes job is going to be like an hour job!!

I took off the coil pack, makes it much easier. I was able to use a 7/8" wrench to break the sensor loose, then I used my hand. BE GENTLE with the new one, they are delicate! There is a how to on here somewhere. It will be easier than it looks once you start. :cool:

got that right...

got that right...

There is no easy way. But I did it last night. Took all in all about 1.15 hrs. Not that bad but damn my arm sure does hurt today!!! Hopefully I wont have to do that again for a while! HAHAHAHHAH....

Well.. usually when your sensor goes out, the car compensates by running rich (limp home mode).

it takes a while to change that in the computer's programming, and consequently, it normally dumps too much fuel for a while, and ruins the replaced sensor within a month or two. Look forward to buying a second one and replacing the bank one sensor one O2 again in a month.. sorry!

hahaa... Just kidding.. but it sounded scary, huh!!!

What I used to replace the rear bank, upstream O2 was a regular O2 socket (they are all 22mm with a cut on the side for the wire) and an open end wrench to turn it. The coil pack had to come out, but that only takes a coupe minutes with a 7mm deep socket. Once the sensor broke loose, it took a few minutes to unscrew it. The new one went it the same way as taking it out. If you do it this way, it will not take more than 20-30 at the most. O2 sockets can be bought cheap (~$7) at Harbor Freight in the US or Princess Auto in Canada.

I was thinking in my head wtf!!!! If I had to spend another $55 on that I would have been pissed. It was weird though because after I changed it a day later my cel came back on!!! Any guesses? I havent run the code yet to see what it actually is, hopefully I can do that today when I get home from work!! I will let you know what I find out.

Back