• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hard Cold Start Problem

Mike61

New CEG'er
I have a 96 4cyl Contour with 105k miles that recently developed a problem with cold starts. Details are:
  1. Batttery and starter are fine, the engine turns over with no problem.
  2. Takes 1 to 2 minutes of of hard cranking while pumping the gas to get the car started.
  3. One started the cars runs fine, same as it always has.
  4. CEL light off, no codes in the computer (according to Autozone)
  5. Once it has been runing it will restart with no problem swile still warm.
  6. Downstram O2 sensor, and IAC valve replaced, Air flow sensor cleaned after problem started. (All by me) None of these had any effect.
  7. Problem goes away for 1-2 days when the computer is reset.
The CEL light came on about the time this began. I had it checked and got the codes for the O2 sensor which I replaced. I also replaced the IAC thinking that might be the cause of the problem.

I had disconnected the battery to clean the sensor, and to replace the IAC and O2 sensors. Each time the car started on the first try when the battery was reconnected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the wifes car, and she wants to go back to driving it.

Thanks, Mike.

Welcome Mike61 :) .

"... 96 4cyl Contour with 105k miles that recently developed a problem with cold starts....Takes 1 to 2 minutes of of hard cranking while pumping the gas to get the car started"
This sounds very much like a bad IAC valve but you've replaced it. I would suggest that you put a bottle of gas stabilizer in the fuel tank to see if that helps. Also change the fuel filter if you haven't done it in 2 years or 24K miles.

"....The CEL light came on about the time this began. I had it checked and got the codes for the O2 sensor which I replaced."

What was the exact CEL code(s)?

"I had disconnected the battery to clean the sensor, and to replace the IAC and O2 sensors. Each time the car started on the first try when the battery was reconnected."
Check wiring from battery to ground, alternator and starter. If there is corrosion on the battery, clean it.

Did you get Autozone to test the battery for you?

Edit. Charge the battery well, then test battery and alternator.

Battery test. Engine off, headlights on for one minute. Voltage across battery terminals should be 12 to 12.5.

Alternator test. Engine running, voltage across battery terminals should be 14 to 14.5.

What about PCV valve? Have you changed it before?
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...allposts&Main=1301173&Search=true#Post1301217

Last edited:
tony: thank you for the prompt reply.

"This sounds very much like a bad IAC valve but you've replaced it."

I was thinking that mabey iI got a bad replacement part. Is thier a way to test the IAC vavle in the car? I also wonder if the wire to the IAC valve is bad. As I recall thier were 2 or 3 conductors in the plug. I would assume that one should have a prositve voltage when the valve should be open.

"I would suggest that you put a bottle of gas stabilizer in the fuel tank to see if that helps. Also change the fuel filter if you haven't done it in 2 years or 24K miles."

It's been way longer than that on the fuel filter, I'll get a new one tomorrow, and add the gas stabilizer.

"What was the exact CEL code(s)?'

I dont have them. They told me it was for Bank 1 O2 sensor 2. The light had been off since I replaced that sensor. The car's symptoms did not change.

"Edit. Charge the battery well, then test battery and alternator."

"Battery test. Engine off, headlights on for one minute. Voltage across battery terminals should be 12 to 12.5."

I have 12.4 volts. the battery is less than a year old.

"Alternator test. Engine running, voltage across battery terminals should be 14 to 14.5."

I have 14.4 volts.

"What about PCV vlave? Have you changed it before?"

I've never changed the PCV valve.

When I started the car tonight to check the voltatge the cooling fan came on immediatly. I haden't noticed that before. The car has been sitting in 50 degree weather all day, and should not need the fan running.

The Sensor 2 (aka Lower sensors) should not affect driving conditions. They monitor the efficiency of the precatalytic converters. The next time you get a code, get it read again, hover over the Autozone employee to see the exact code, then post here.

Yes, do change the PCV valve and fuel filter.

As for the fan coming on, sigh....... I hope it is not a wiring harness issue. Check for broken wire insulators. If it is a wiring harness issue, assuming you are past the 10 year/150K mile extended warranty, all is not lost. Some CEGers have replaced them recently and can give you tips on how to go about it if it turns out to be that. You should check your build date (the door jamb should show month and year it was built). The warranty starts from day it was first sold.

Edit. Did you check the spark plug gaps? 0.050 for Zetec 4 cylinder. And when was the last time those were changed?

Last edited:
Update - Bad news

Update - Bad news

I replaced the fuel Filter and PCV valve.

Unfortunatly while mucking around under the car trying to find the PCV valve I noticed two wires with insulation missing. One of these was to a sensor on the thermostat housing, I assume it's the temperature sensor. The other wire was to a sensor on the bottom of the engine.

I checked with Carfax and found that this thing was originally titled in July of 96, so I guess I'm out of luck on the extended warranty. :mad:

For now, I'm going to patch in a replacement wire, and hope that holds for a while. I'll probably try to replace the wiring harness myself later this winter.

Tony, thanks again for the help.

Could be temperature sensor for the "thermostat one". This sensor will affected engine performance.

Edit. Autozone link for coolant temperature sensor.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/ba/0900823d801bcaba.jsp

As for the one at the bottom of the engine, that is most probably the lower O2 sensor (which should only monitor catalytic converter efficiency).

Edit. Autozone link for O2 sensor.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/83/0900823d801bca83.jsp

Last edited:
How old is the fuel in the car? Summer blend fuel has less vapor pressure. Winter fuel is blended with more light ends to help vaporize the fuel for cold starts.

Put a tank of aviation fuel in your car and try to start it in the winter. Aviation fuel must not have high vapor pressure or it will cause engine performance problems with altitude changes. Gasoline powered airplanes have fuel heaters to enable them to start in cold weather.

If you have fuel it it from summer, it may not start well or at all now.

Back