• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Advantges of lowered, Koni suspension

I bought my '98 Csvt used and the previous owner installed a Koni suspension with shorter springs, especially in the front. I assume he was a young kid looking for the "Fast and the Furious" street racer look.

I hate the bumpy ride and rediculous lack of ground clearance for the front bumper.

Also, I should mention I'm riding on 17" enkei's with low pro tires..

I'm 38 years old and this look and ride just isn't for me. I drive my CSVT to work and back and as a daily driver so soft ride is a priority to me.

What woud be the quickest way to get this car softer and higher off the ground? Should I just try to find a stock suspension and swap?

Is their a kit in the aftermarket world that fits the bill?

Also how many miles are there on the suspension setup if you know? If you can get pictures and an accurate guess to their condition you could find someone that would trade there stock setup to get you back to OEM ride quality.

I'd say just get some BAT springs to pair with the Koni's. Also what are they set on? Best ride is half way IMO for the street.

I would first make sure the shocks are turned down all the way. You could always keep the shocks and try to find a set of stock springs.

I bought my '98 Csvt used and the previous owner installed a Koni suspension with shorter springs, especially in the front. I assume he was a young kid looking for the "Fast and the Furious" street racer look.

I hate the bumpy ride and rediculous lack of ground clearance for the front bumper.

Also, I should mention I'm riding on 17" enkei's with low pro tires..

I'm 38 years old and this look and ride just isn't for me. I drive my CSVT to work and back and as a daily driver so soft ride is a priority to me.

What woud be the quickest way to get this car softer and higher off the ground? Should I just try to find a stock suspension and swap?

Is their a kit in the aftermarket world that fits the bill?

I will trade you a stock setup and even pay for shipping for you:cool:

contour_SVT.jpg

Here's how she sits. Too low for me. I know a couple of you guys suggested setting the shocks??? I don't know where an adjustment would be for these shocks??? I know NOTHING about suspensions guys. I suppose if someone wanted to come swap out a factory set-up then knock yourself out! I could care-less about this stupid Koni crap. However, your labor is what it's gunna cost you on both cars.

I'm in the Brownstown, MI area.

koni shock's have a dial adjustment at the top of the strut tower. when you open up your bonnet you should be able to see where you fit the koni adjuster knob right ontop. also, get inside the trunk to adjust the rears; with the stock koni knob this is a real pain for me.

i would try to locate a koni knob if you dont have one already and simply try turning the knob towards the - (soft) and see what happens. your horrid ride might be because all 4 shocks are on the firmest setting.

Last edited:
koni shock's have a dial adjustment at the top of the strut tower. when you open up your bonnet you should be able to see where you fit the koni adjuster knob right ontop. also, get inside the trunk to adjust the rears; with the stock koni knob this is a real pain for me.

i would try to locate a koni knob if you dont have one already and simply try turning the knob towards the - (soft) and see what happens. your horrid ride might be because all 4 shocks are on the firmest setting.

I have one of those white knobs that say "koni" on it. So I assume the shocks are adjustable.. I'll give that a go for now and se if I can soften up the ride a bit..

Now, as for the low stance, that's the springs? And I'm assuming the only way I can get the nose up off the ground is to install taller springs?

Or you can go to your local auto parts store and get some spring blocks, depending on how high you wanna raise it. I use them in the back of mine when I 1/4 mile race to reduced butt sag at launching untill I get Koni's and better springs.

What size tires are on those rims? Can't really tell from the picture, but they look a little small for 17" rims. Getting a proper tire would raise it up a little too.

What size tires are on those rims? Can't really tell from the picture, but they look a little small for 17" rims. Getting a proper tire would raise it up a little too.

They are tiny low profile tires...

And No, my SVT was not on Ebay.. It was on Craigslist..

I adjusted the front shocks to soften it up a bit and I can tell a difference. unfortunately, the Koni adjust knob WILL NOT fit between the rear struts and underside of the rear window shelf.:shrug: :help:

Any suggestions??

yup

you could cut the top off of the koni knob to help it fit between the parcel shelf and the rear towers. or, if blu_fuz still makes his aluminium shortend koni knob, you could get one of those and be on your way. i cant adjust mine without the help of blu_fuz's aluminium knob.

You've really got a nice looking car there. IMHO it would be a shame to "wreck" the look by undoing what the previous owner has done - unless of course something is broken. I'm 57 and my car is as low if not lower than yours and it's my daily driver as well. However I'm riding on stock SVT wheels and tires. Part of your harsh ride is due to the sidewall being smaller between the 17 inch wheels and the road so that won't change no matter what you do to the suspension. Looks like you've already made an adjustment to the suspension so without any more surgery to the car you might consider finding some stock 16 inch wheels with the proper aspect ratio tires and try them first. It'll cost less than changing out the springs. I found that I just had to adjust my driving style a bit in order to navigate the same roads and driveways I did before getting my lowered car. :cool:
Karl

I'll close out this thread by saying I had the swap done.. The Koni's are gone and in there place reside Monroe sensatraks, new OEM (TRW) Front coil springs, and E1 wheels... What a huge ride difference... The swap accomplished everything I was hoping for..

I apprecitate everyone's oppinion and suggestions on this subject but I learned we all prefer something different. I was looking for daily-driver/comfortable ride and this car now rides like a new car..

I know alot of the "Show Car" SVT's look fantastick with the huge dubs and low pro's... I'm WAY too old for that look and my car is a daily driver work car, not looking to impress anyone guys...

what did you do with he Koni's?!?!!

Look where i live! I'll come get them! ill give you $$!!

Back