• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Just did an oil change...

96MystiqueGS

Veteran CEG'er
Just got done doing the first oil change for my new 98 Mystique (V6). I have done many oil changes on my 96 Mystique (V6 also) and have never encountered this... I loosened the oil filter and went to take it out and it wouldn't fit between the exhaust and the frame. I had to push on the engine to make enough room for the filter to come out. Any ideas whats up with this? Any way to fix this maybe? It makes changing the oil a lot harder.

Very strange - never encountered that before w/3 v-6 Contours & 1 i-4 Mystique in the family . Don't know what to say :shrug: . Was it an off-brand filter ? Maybe someone found a filter that would "fit" , but wasn't "correct" for the car .

The filter that I removed was a Champ PH820, it seems to be exactly the same size as the filters I always use.The filter I was installing was the correct filter and it wouldn't fit either...had to push the engine while some one pushed the filter up and in.

Hmmm. When I do mine, I only have clearance issues with the black plastic undertray, which I ussually remove to keep oil from spilling on it. I don't recall my exhaust ever being that close to the filter. Is it the pipe or the manifold?

I haven't encountered this either. :confused:
Can you snap a picture next time you are under there?

you could just get a oil filter relocation kit and never worry about getting oil anywhere but on the ground ... and you can use the massive FL-1A filter :laugh:

DSC02974.JPG

http://www.fordcontour.org/index.php?&autocom=registry&cmd=view_attach&type=registry_mod&id=673

sounds like the front motor mount is junk and the motor is rocked forward.
and if it is that far forward the stab-o-shock thing is probabaly junk too.

Did not get a chance to take a look as of yet, I'm not sure about damage as I just got the car the end of August. When you say front motor mount, where exactly is that located? And what is a stab-o-shock? I'll have to see if I can borrow a digital camera from some one around here and I'll post some pictures. I'm definately going to look into the relocation kit.​

Did not get a chance to take a look as of yet, I'm not sure about damage as I just got the car the end of August. When you say front motor mount, where exactly is that located? And what is a stab-o-shock? I'll have to see if I can borrow a digital camera from some one around here and I'll post some pictures. I'm definately going to look into the relocation kit.​

since you don't have an svt you don't have a stab-o-shoc unless you added one yourself

The "front" motor mount is located just behind the radiator , nearly centered on the engine/trans - actually not too far from that oil filter . It holds the "front" of the engine from dragging on the ground ;) .

Just got under the car while it was on ramps and the mounts seem to be in pretty good condition. They are firm, pretty clean and not deteriorating as far as I can see and feel. I do have a question on the front mount though...
frontmount2.jpg

Where the red line is, should that be connected to the part that wraps around the metal of the mount? It seems to be connected on the one side, but not this side. This picture is of a spare front mount I have sitting around.

I am not the original owner of the car and not sure if has been hit, although I do see some cracks in the header panel. The mounts look good, but on the front mount it appears that some of the rubber on the insert has separated, but I'm not sure if it is supposed to be separated or not.

frontmount2.jpg

I have drawn a red line where the rubber seems to have separated, but I am not sure if it is supposed to separate there. If any one could tell me that would be great. If it is not supposed to be separated I would guess that could be a reason for the engine tilt. Thanks.

It's really hard to see what's goin' on in the pic , unfortunately :( . I've heard of the through-bolt failing ... how's that look on your car ? Is the mount still pretty centered on that bolt (up & down-wise) ?

I took the junkyard motor mount apart and confirmed that the rubber insert in my car is torn. A replacement is quite cheap, but I'm not sure how easy the install will be. I know to use a jack and a 2x4 under the oil pan to relieve tension on the mounts but it seems a little tight in the area of the front mount. Any tips or tricks on doing this? I tried to search for a how-to, but my wb browser won't let me open the search box, probably just my horrible verizon internet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

it's relatively easy to change the front mount. the steps are pretty much how you typed them.

ither than that...i wouldn't go crazy with the filter relocation. see if changing the mount fixes the problem. if it doesn't, then there's something else wrong that you shouldn't just "band aid" with the relocation. if it does fix it, sweet. there are not many reasons to to the filter relocation on an otherwise stock car.

Back