• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car alarm = Vandalization??

BlackE1

Veteran CEG'er
Some of you might have read my thread about door dings. Long story short I got a door ding. It’s on my rear passenger door up high right at the top of the crease in the door. I am thinking it’s kind of high to be from a car.

I just added a dual zone motion sensor to my alarm system. This system has the soft chirp siren. When you walk with in about a foot of the car the siren will chirp 4 times to warn away anyone thinking of breaking in the car.

I am worried that the warn away chirping might actually draw more attention to the car or even disturb someone enough to vandalizing the car. What are your thoughts on this and should I remove the dual zone motion sensor to help with not drawing attention to my car?

I would ay it depends if your car is going to be parked in an area with a lot of foot traffic, if so, I would say dont do it.

My reason is this:

I live in a downtown area with lot of houses and mainly street parking. Last year, a car that would frequently park in front of our house had an alarm similar to that. Everytime someone walked near it it beeped loudly and a voice said something like "thi car is protected by security, step away from the car" VERY loudly. This was extremely annoying cause it would happen every 5 minutes. To make a long story short, the owner walked out to find a rock through his windshield courtesy of my roomate who got sick of being woken up by the alarm 20 times each night.

btw, he took the alarm out the next day

I would ay it depends if your car is going to be parked in an area with a lot of foot traffic, if so, I would say dont do it.

My reason is this:

I live in a downtown area with lot of houses and mainly street parking. Last year, a car that would frequently park in front of our house had an alarm similar to that. Everytime someone walked near it it beeped loudly and a voice said something like "thi car is protected by security, step away from the car" VERY loudly. This was extremely annoying cause it would happen every 5 minutes. To make a long story short, the owner walked out to find a rock through his windshield courtesy of my roomate who got sick of being woken up by the alarm 20 times each night.

btw, he took the alarm out the next day
I usually park far away and when the warn away is triggered it has 4-5 quite beeps. I think I might try to reprogram the unit to not beep but turn on the lights for 30 seconds. Like some vehicles do when unlocked by the remote.
Also the alarm I have has a repeat trigger safety. If the same zone is triggered it will ignore after repeated triggers. The guy who parked in front of your house obviously didn’t.

Last edited:
I usually park far away and the warn away is triggered it has 4-5 quite beeps. I think I might try to reprogram the unit to not beep but turn on the lights for 30 seconds. Like some vehicles do when unlocked by the remote.

i think that is a better idea...because some punk kid would most likely just thing, stupid car, the guy isnt even out here and just hit it for ****s. By turning on the lights, that seems much more legit to me to scare off "predators" :D

2nd owner picked it up with 18,500. Guy from Minnesota traded it for a v8 Lincoln LS with a 6 speed. He also gave me original window sticker and all recites from services from ford.

i think that is a better idea...because some punk kid would most likely just thing, stupid car, the guy isnt even out here and just hit it for ****s. By turning on the lights, that seems much more legit to me to scare off "predators" :D

Not sure how turning on the lights is going to do anything different....wont be as annoying but anyway.

Myself, I would never bother with something like that. Like your thinking, too much attention being drawn to the car. I would say that your just better off with something that only alarms when someone actually touches the car. One like todras suggests, with the paging ability is nice. Just hope they improved since I bought mine, some at that time really sucked.

Many cars nowadays have a feature that when you unlock your car the lights turn on and stay on for a duration of time. So at night you can see you car get in and feel safe. I am thinking if I have the lights turn on and stay on for a duration of time someone if prowling around might think I am on my way to my car and split.

I have a two way alarm, the remote beeps when the alarm is in full alarm mode. But if you in a noise place it can not be heard. Also the alarm only goes into full alarm mode when car is bumped, tuched or hit hard enough to set off the shock sensor.

I adjusted the dual zone motion sensor, and shock sensor yesterday. Now the warm away motion sensor will only warn chirp if you make movement 6 inches inside the car. (This sensor is pointless unless I leave my windows open). Over all I am disappointed in putting an alarm on my car. I thought it was going to make me feel better about parking it places. But all in all I think the alarm make me more paranoid that some one is going to end up doing something to it just because it has an alarm.

I'd just get a pager alarm and when it goes off bring out the pistol.

The only thing a car alarm will do is scare away a punk kid. No one pays attention to alarms anymore and if a thief wants something in your car.. he will get it.

The only thing a car alarm will do is scare away a punk kid. No one pays attention to alarms anymore and if a thief wants something in your car.. he will get it.

I disagree; people do pay attention to after market alarms.

But I will agree that people do not pay attention to factory alarm since everyone has one and most set it off all the time due to lack or knowing how to use it.

But all in all if a thief knows what I have and knows he wants it then he will get it. Which is why I am safe about advertising what is inside my car.

Back