• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I hate mother#%&@ing nature!!! 56k beware

this is why I am the deer killer. 70 mph and a deer = this
PICT0026.jpg

so count your lucky stars.

Man... :shocked: ...that SUCKS!!! I've seen SOOO many cars around here totalled by deer hits. I really am amazed how lightly I got off! That pic is EXACTLY why I'm glad that effin' deer hit me on the side at an angle. Any estimate on cost to repair your car? Did it hit hard enough to cause the airbags to deploy?

**EDIT** On a side note, my driver's side mirror is now the same color as yours! (took it off my parts car) My poor silver baby looks all ghetto now with mis-matched mirrors. :cry:

Eyes were on the road. I DID see the deer as soon as my lights hit it. But my reaction time was less than optimal, as my concentration was elsewhere. Had to drive back down there last night (accidentally left my debit card at the restaurant) and it was dark again on the way home. Talk about being paranoid!! Every little shadow was making me twitchy! Made it home without incident, thank goodness!

airbags didn't deploy, the deer hit on top of the sensors and not the front of them. I bought a parts car of the same color from an old member on here about 2 months after I hit it because I only had liability. parts car $500, new windshield $400--i think, and a weekend to get it put back together. It wasn't too bad to put back together either, both front fenders, headlight assembly, hood, bumper, radiator, and pulling the radiator support back out by about 5 inches. :) The hood I got was not in the best of shape, but I did a cheap repaint job myself, that I forgot to sand down---doh---so it looks normal from more than 10 feet away but when you get closer you can see the waves in it.

You're lucky the damage was so minimal. Hitting anything 'at speed' can really mess up the thin sheet metal on today's cars. Too bad your 96GL isn't Silver Frost (not an option that year) -- if it was, you could swap mirrors!

I know! I have the mirror swapped out right now. :blackeye: It looks SOOOO ghetto!

Do you plan on painting it yourself?
Before I bought my car from baco, he managed to smack up the mirror, and replaced it with one from a boneyard.
I got me some paintscratch paint and went to town. The color match is nice.

Don't know yet about me painting it. I suppose it will depend on what the estimate is to fix the car. If it's too expensive, the dents may be staying for now. I'm tossing around the idea of painting the mirrors black so they blend into the dark tint, rather than having the silver sticking out against the black. We'll see. I'll probably make a decision next week which way to go.

The Duplicolor Silver Frost I used on my grill was a dead match for the factory paint, so if I go silver it's back to Walmart for a couple of cans.

I'm sorry about your car, and even MORE sorry that you swerved! You could have SERIOUSLY been hurt.

DEER don't hit back near as hard as a concrete pillar, or tree. Avoid the subconscious urge to swerve!

I'm REALLY glad that you are okay, man!

The only time I've gone to the berm/ditch/side of the road/etc was when a car was coming at me and I couldn't go left. I'll always go left to try and stay on the road. And at night, you'd see the lights of oncoming traffic.

I really feel bad for you, but like you said, you were very lucky. The last car (Dodge Caravan) I saw hit a deer was totalled and the lady driver looked like she was the one that hit the deer (lots of blood).

The only time I've gone to the berm/ditch/side of the road/etc was when a car was coming at me and I couldn't go left. I'll always go left to try and stay on the road. And at night, you'd see the lights of oncoming traffic.
Force of habit (and being right-handed) sent me to the right. Odds are fairly good (taking into account where on the car it hit) that if I had swerved to the left I MIGHT have missed it altogether. That, or I would have hit it head-on and done ten times the damage. (That's probably what would have happened, considering the kind of week it has been!!!! Friday the 13th FTL :nonono:)

Almost the same thing happened to me, Last year around november I was on a back road and a deer came sliding down the hill and it ran right in the front of my driver's side fender of my car blew out the headlight and cracked the carbon fiber hood.I was so pissed becasue the deer came charging at me it no like I hit it dead on.grrr I hate deer!Anyways atleast its not to bad,and your safe!And atleast your date went well!

a deer in a road where there was no dear. I mean come on, it's dead now and you watched it suffer, lol why did you go back? Weren't you scared it had deer backup? :O, sorry to hear about the car, but I mean with nature that was pretty good, I had a ****ing soccer mom with her stupid SUV ram into my rear passenger door and levelwhat looks like she had a 4 foot metal sheet and just slammed it horizontally in my car, I'll post pics...

Back