• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Battery Light

stv4lil

New CEG'er
97 Ford Contour with 4 cyl 5 sp - 250k miles

When I start the car the battery light is dimly lit. When you give the car gas the light gets brighter.
I changed the alternator, come to find out the one that I took out was good.
Is there something that goes bad or a common problem to make this light come on.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
THanks

Just got alternator back on

Just got alternator back on

Light is all but out at idle, but as the RPM goes up the light gets brighter (does not flicker)
I really like this car and it has been a good one, but after 4 alternator changes, it has all but run my patience out.
Help if you can.
Thanks

Check your battery connections. Completely remove them, clean them, apply dielectric grease, and secure them TIGHTLY! Check around for other shorts in the wiring of the charge system, and check Fuse 5 (fog lamps) and your megafuse to make sure they are not blown or touchy.

Thanks to All - Battery Light

Thanks to All - Battery Light

Turns out it was the Mega Fuse, $8 from the dealer and the car is back on the road.
Millions of thanks to all and a special thanks to webmaster for this sight.

Similar problem

Similar problem

My voltage/battery/alternator light was flickering when I got the rpm's over 2800. At idle and up to 2700 rpm's the light would be OFF, when I passed 2800 it would go on. As I continued to drive the limit where the light would come on would lower.

I charged and tested the battery and alternator at idle, and everything was alright. HOWEVER, when I tested at over 2800 rpm's the (light ON) the voltage at the battery was 12.5v, the same as my battery only voltage.

I did a fair bit of research, and did all the contact cleaning. I just had the alternator replaced (it was seized) so I never suspected it was the problem (it was replaced with a NEW one) but the end result was in fact the alternator.

Generally a battery light at high engine speed indicates worn brushes in the alternator because they begin to bounce as the spring pressure which holds them down to the commutator/slip rings (whatever it's called) weakens as it lengthens. This is well documented in this site. In a vehicle with easier access to the alternator, all I'd do is replace the brushes as long as they haven't disintegrated thereby damaging the armature.
Karl

where is megafuse?

where is megafuse?

hmmm first time heard of it, what type/rating is the megafuse and where is it? i have an early 95 2.5 Mystique...

thanks

mike

Back