• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

So time may be running out.

Pen_Two

Is not easliy amused.
Judging by my inexperience on how to work on a transmission, and not being able to throw money at the car to get it fixed by a shop...I may have to trade it in.:shrug:

That is...unless someone with the know-how wants to help me replace a worn syncro on my fifth gear.:help:

Otherwise...the fun is running out, and I too will become a troll.:nonono:

Well, if I can't find a way to fix it...I'm going to dive into debt over another car I've always liked.

You cannot bring the transmission into a shop and ave them do the work for you? I can't image it would cost more then 150 buck to have done. I had a shop install 3rd gear syrncos, shift forks, bearings, seals and a torsen for 125. The only PITA part is you have to separate every gear to get to 5th - so it takes quite a bit of time...

I can't afford the downtime. I don't have a back up car readily available anymore.

Not to mention I don't have the proper tools to extract the transmission from the car.

why don't you just drive using all gears except fifth? You can still drive on the highway and get reasonable gas mileage anywhere, just wait until you find a deal on a used transmission, or buy a rebuilt one from somewhere(or low mileage) I know I could drive without fifth gear, even on the highway at 70mph, your rpms won't be rediculously high.

let me know if you need a hand I will always help out a local fellow cegr I have done htis job before and i know what your getting into to save a few bills just find another tranny this will save time, money, and having a reliable tranny. i have driven a few cars that somebody worked on the tras and wow somebody didn't know what they were doing but on the other hand checkered svt had a reputable shop do his and wow very nice. so my point is it may be hit or miss when getting synchros and selecting forks installed.

haha I might not be much help, but I could always be there for moral support! :laugh:

Let me know if we're going to get a meet together to fix glenns car! :cool:

I forget where Glenn lives, but if it isn't too far, I might be able to assist. Do you have the tools to do the job?

Is there anything special about the MTX-75 in the SVT versus the other V6 Contiques with the MTX?

If not...I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to scout one out at Harry's to build up...:ponder:

Last edited:
5th gear syncro??

what it grinds?

i dont' even think i've ever heard of such a thing happening before....

but anyway, if it's a shot syncro, why not just rev match ? it's not like it's gonna blow up on you.

who diagnosed this?? how long has it been going on? i never had any issues with 5th gear... :(

EDIT: and there's no difference between transmissions....as far as gears go. The SVT has a lighter flywheel, and obviously if you want to do a rebuild you'll want to hang onto the lightened SVT flywheel in that car, but the guts from any post 98 trans will work

Last edited:
Wow...I can't believe this.

Anyway, I can assure you it's not from "abuse" What purpose would banging 5th serve anyway?

I also should add...there are no upgraded shift forks in the trans. Only works performed were quaife/lightened flywheel/spec stage 2. I had purchased a new gearset from a pre98 with hopes they could atleast reuse the syncro's out of it...but the shop told me no because it was a pre98.

I asked them to inspect the syncro's in the car and let me know if anything needed to be done as i'd have them do it since the car was apart. They told me everything was fine....of course this was several years back now.

But still..i've never heard of a 5th gear syncro going bad, it's the least used gear! Occasionally 4th would be a little cranky, but never 5th.

Before you go crazy...i recommend you go grab a couple quarts of the ford honey fluid, and change out the trans fluid. the stuff that's in there has quite a few miles on it by now. Also inspect the fluid for shavings and such. This is really out of the ordinary IMO, since i never had an issue with 5th, but try that first and see what happens.

i feel really bad about this :(

I changed out the Redline(?) fluid months ago because of the cold. Even after letting it warm up...it was insanely thick. I think there's something from Valvoline in it now.

I could have sworn something was said about shift forks...meh, oh well.

I'm not sure how reputable the transmission shop was, but just to put light on it...the shift tower was missing two of the hex bolts holding it on and the two that were there were very very loose.:shrug:

I have your basic tools to do your basic work. I don't have anything that would pertain to the transmission.

I removed a transmission with a borrowed cherry picker - a set of metric 1/2" sockets, a breaker bar, and some extensions. I had to occasionally use 1/4" on intake and air dam parts. I did this in an apartment garage on top of it - you can do it.

It's the down time I can't really afford more than anything.

I'll probably try to get my hands on a trans from the junk yard and rebuild it to make it bullet proof.:shrug:

Back