• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Red idiot light for brakes is on!

dharnie

New CEG'er
It looks like a "parking" brake symbol with a "P" in a circle in the red light on the dash console and an "!" in a circle to the right as you view it.

It started to appear when I accelerated hard and the trans downshifted and then the warning went away. Now it is lit up all the time.

Do I need new brakes at 55K miles? or what?

your brake fluid is likely low.

the "low fluid" sensor is tied in to that same light for the E-brake handle.

Now, don't just top off your fluid. the fluid went SOMEWHERE.

your options are:
A: out of a leak somewhere.
B: in the the calipers/drums as your brake pads wear thinner and more fluid is displaced to compensate.

If its A, search the inner edge of all your rims/control arms for evidence, and around the master cylinder itself

If its not found to be A, then its B.. check your pads/drums for need of replacement.

Excellent post Ray!!
I only want to add that you will want to park the car till you get new brake fluid. My idiot light only turned on when the reservoir was completely empty -- bone dry. This of course means you only have the fluid in the lines/master cylinder to play with, and if any of that leaks out then your brakes could fail.

Not that I really know what I'm talking about, but I slightly disagree on both accounts. There is nothing wrong with your master cylinder, because you would KNOW if it wasn't working, as in, you would have already hit someone :laugh: . And you probably have enough fluid to properly work your brakes. The sensor is located on the top of the reservoir with a little stick that hang down inside to "measure" how much fluid is inside. It stops very far short of the level in which you still posess the ability to brake safely. Heck, when I went totally dry, I was able to brake on air :shrug: . If you have drum brakes in the rear I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend checking to see if your fluid is leaking there! It is very possible you have a busted wheel cylinder. DO NOT LET THIS GO! It will ruin your brake shoes and possibly your drums! These aren't as easy to replace as pads, and if you were to bring your car to a shop for just the rears, you might be looking at $300 for your bill :nonono: . Let us know how you make out :cool:

Not that I really know what I'm talking about, but I slightly disagree on both accounts. There is nothing wrong with your master cylinder, because you would KNOW if it wasn't working, as in, you would have already hit someone :laugh: . And you probably have enough fluid to properly work your brakes. The sensor is located on the top of the reservoir with a little stick that hang down inside to "measure" how much fluid is inside. It stops very far short of the level in which you still posess the ability to brake safely. Heck, when I went totally dry, I was able to brake on air :shrug: . If you have drum brakes in the rear I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend checking to see if your fluid is leaking there! It is very possible you have a busted wheel cylinder. DO NOT LET THIS GO! It will ruin your brake shoes and possibly your drums! These aren't as easy to replace as pads, and if you were to bring your car to a shop for just the rears, you might be looking at $300 for your bill :nonono: . Let us know how you make out :cool:

Okay, a leaky brake cylinder isnt the end of the world. Thats what im assuming is the issue also, same thing happened on my pre98.

if any fluid at all leaked onto your brake pads, then its time to replace, and its not expensive, a set of drum brake pads is like $22.

Basically, let your car sit overnight, then crawl under neath the back end and look inside of the wheels, if one of the rear wheels has a little puddle or a wet spot in it, then you blew a wheel cylinder and need to do a rear brake overhaul. which is cheap and fairly easy on drum brakes.

Not that I really know what I'm talking about, but I slightly disagree on both accounts. There is nothing wrong with your master cylinder, because you would KNOW if it wasn't working, as in, you would
have already hit someone :laugh:

Okay.. fair enough. you've established you don't really know what you are talking about. :D lol, j/k. but I thought it was funny you wrote that. Also, assuming that if "something" is wrong with the MC you would have hit someone is absurb..
And you probably have enough fluid to properly work your brakes.

The word probably scares the crap out of me with a braking system.

The bottom line is that I agree on the fact that there is probably a leak in the system. Unless the driver brakes incredibly heavily to have used the entire pad set in 50/60K miles. It IS possible just to need new pads, but a small leak somewhere is also a likely outcome.

Okay, a leaky brake cylinder isnt the end of the world. Thats what im assuming is the issue also, same thing happened on my pre98.

if any fluid at all leaked onto your brake pads, then its time to replace, and its not expensive, a set of drum brake pads is like $22.

Basically, let your car sit overnight, then crawl under neath the back end and look inside of the wheels, if one of the rear wheels has a little puddle or a wet spot in it, then you blew a wheel cylinder and need to do a rear brake overhaul. which is cheap and fairly easy on drum brakes.

I understand a leaky cylinder isn't THAT big of a deal, but if you let it go for too long it ruins your brake shoes/drums. And even though these are relatively cheap, it ISN'T so cheap if you lack the mechanical intuition/tools to get the job done yourself. Before I joined this site, I had the same thing happen to me. It wasn't cool and it was expensive :(. But since joining this site I shall be doing more of my own fixes and/or bringing it to another CEGer :).

Back