• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Puddle of water.

shizapooh

CEG'er
Hello,
theres a puddle of water everytime it rains in the passenger floor. any thoughts? I dont know what could be wrong with it just everytime it rains and i get into my car theres a puddle..

Was your car EVER in an accident prior to you owning it?

Also, check the weather stripping on your passenger door and check the seal on your windshield.

remove your windshield wiper cowl (how to is in the duratec maint. forum) and check your cabin air filter. likely crud built up around it, causing it to allow moisture and water flow in to the cabin and down to the carpet.

clean it out, replace your filter (get one from autozone.. cheap!) and have a nice day.

remove your windshield wiper cowl (how to is in the duratec maint. forum) and check your cabin air filter. likely crud built up around it, causing it to allow moisture and water flow in to the cabin and down to the carpet.

clean it out, replace your filter (get one from autozone.. cheap!) and have a nice day.
Absolutely agreed. This happened to me in 2004. The gasket around the cabin air filter holder was completely shot because dirt had gotten in. New gasket material at $3 from Home Depot solved the problem.

Don't let it occur too often or your carpet will start to stain and smell. I went months before looking into the problem (it started during the coldest of winter).

thanks for the help guys ill get it done today!

EDIT: Also my car was in a wreck before i got it actually like twice i think?

Last edited:
I know mine drips down the plastic door threshold trim right near the trunk release lever on the drivers side. If I park facing uphill it doesn't happen. Could my problem be the cabin air filter area too?

I know mine drips down the plastic door threshold trim right near the trunk release lever on the drivers side. If I park facing uphill it doesn't happen. Could my problem be the cabin air filter area too?

This EXACT thing happens to my car, and its completely random as far as I can tell. Sometimes when it rains there is a puddle, sometimes there isn't. And I haven't been able to make any correlation to the intensity of the rain either.

Back