• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need help identifying problem *pics*

G

green SVT

Ok well I was leaving the mall when my right front end started making a horrible scraping noise I drove home (about a mile) and I just got around to looking at it. The clamp that holds on this boot is just hanging there and the boot is all loose and push back. My question is what part is this that is troubling me and what do I do to fix it. FYI as you can tell I am a TOTAL idiot when it comes to suspension so please help me out if you can.

I circled the boot that is in question, passenger side and its the clamp closest to the tranny.

Thats the inner C-V boot Looks like the joint broke.

Last edited:
Get it fixed before you have big trouble. You'll need either a rebuilt or new halfshaft. I doubt it, but you might get lucky and yours can be repaired. Wouldn't drive it though.

Uhh first picture has the inner tierod circled...

other pictures show a worked over CV :laugh:

Yeeeah I meant to circle the boot way back there but I thought people would get the idea.

So how do I repair this?

Yeah but I dont know how to do this suspension stuff, and I dont have the tools. I just have basic rachets and stuff.

IF you do want to remove it yourself, here's the procedure.

Get car up so you can crawl under. Remove wheel/tire assembly. With a helper in the car stepping on the brakes, loosen the locknut which holds the halfshaft to the hub. It's a 1.25" nut and you'll need a breaker bar with an extension as they're TQ'd big time plus they often rust tight. Once that's loose, you'll need to remove either the ball joint or the front A arm bolts so there's room to move the knuckle so you can slide the halfshaft laterally. To remove the halfshaft from the trans you need to pop it out of the trans by either using a tapered punch driven upwards between the tripod bearing cage/casting and the trans case or a large pry bar. Be very careful not to damage the aluminum trans casing! Clearance is also an issue on this side of the car. Once the halfshaft retaining clip is free from the trans, you remove the nut fully, push the knuckle out of the way and slide the halfshaft laterally to remove it from the trans. If your trans is topped up with fluid have a pan underneath to catch the ATF. Take it to the rebuilder/supply house for a replacement.

Reverse the procedure to install.

Back