• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Harness Problems

SloTour

CEG'er
95GL V6 ATX 67K

Ok, after about 4 alternators frying and being unexplained from my mechanic (changing mechanics soon). I believe that the car is starting to fail from the harness. Although everything works perfectly (ocassional CEL from O2 sensor) and no other issues besides alternators getting "floating brushes." Now, the car was produced in 1994 so I guess Ford will no longer warrenty the "recall."

So I guess my question is has anyone convienced a Ford Rep to actually have a dealership install a new harness?

Also, what prices have you guys paid for new harness's. What expirence would you need to replace one? (Most mechanical thing I have done is a UIM and LIM cleaning and also I have been doing car stereo's for about 5 years now)

What problems have you ran into? Getting a wrong harness? Wires are too short? How long did it take you?

Any guidence in this harness area would be gratefull.
Thank You!

Are you the original owner of the car?
As you know your 10 year time period has past on the recall. Is the car worth investing a labor charge for the harnesses to be installed? Ask the dealer if they would supply the harnesses at no cost. They say the job takes approx 8 hours. Unless the tech really knows what he's doing it takes 10-12 to do it right.

When I had the 99M03 recall done, the dealer had problems with a defective PCM harness, they worked on it, on and off, for 3 weeks before they got everything correct.

Hmm. I am debating but I really do love this car. I am hoping that this harness will fix all the alternator issues.

TTT

We help a local mechanic shop at work out allot with tires. I was thinking if I bought the harness and had them do it. How much money would I be saving if they would help me out. Obviously, I would give who-ever did the install about $150-200 depending how quickly they got it done.

Is this car worth saving? I am trying to convience myself that it is and it will run for awhile if I get this harness done.

Doesn't really sound like a harness replacement is warranted. You have a localized problem so just fix that. The alternator is a constant problem and if you don't get an OEM part you are likely to continue having problems. Search the site for the instructions on the alternator wiring fix and if it still doesn't fix it there are only three wires associated with the alternator which would be a simple splice and tape job.

Back