• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spec flywheel

You can use a new clutch with any new flywheel that is made for the contour. It is just recommended to buy the spec clutch AND flywheel together because then it can be matched/balanced better.

ok. so it will not be a problem? in other words, its not a must to use the svt clutch with the flywheel. someone told me that knocking sound is often present when this combination is used.
is there any place where i can find a spec stage 1 cluch for the price of a new svty clutch?

edited:

ok, so a svt clucth from bill jenkis is about the same price as the stage 1 from sp motorsports ($330). are those clutches with good reputationi? if i get that one (spec stage 1) would it work well with the stock flywheel? i was also told that these spec slutches are hit and miss, and often they fail within the first 5miles after installation (assuming correct instalation)...
also, is there a cheaper place to get the stage 1 clutch?

thank you all for the help!

Last edited:
That's untrue. I've only seen one or two spec stage1 clutches fail and it wasn't in the first 5 miles. HIGHLY unlikely.

THe Kevlar spec stage2 has a reputation and I don't know much beyond some people love them and some have replaced them.

THe spec stage3 ALWAYS grips but the driveability is not always good. THAT is hit or miss, sometimes it comes out very smooth for people and sometimes it's just a bear to drive in traffic. I had good luck with both stage3's I used, just better performance from the second one I put in.
That should tell you something, I liked that clutch enough to buy it twice. :idea:

It grips like no tomorrow but it isn't for a 2.5L engine unless it is a monster turbo 2.5L.

The only performance clutch I can recommend for the 2.5L besides stock SVT is the spec stage1.

I personnaly would just get the spec stage1 if the price is the same as the hub is heavier duty than the SVT clutch.

Otherwise, I'd get the SVT clutch because there is no better clutch for good performance and good driveability. My SVT clutch held my car with a 75 shot of nitrous, held my car through 2 years of being a 3L, and then a couple of month it held my car when I first put my turbo on my 3L. Now THAT was a timebomb I admit, a turbo 3L hooked to it, but it DID hold it and didn't break.
I just think it would have broke sometime soon with the turbo so I had a chance to upgrade and put in a spec stage 3.

So you be the judge after reading that. Oh, and I used the stock flywheel. If you can afford the fidanza or spec lightweight flywheel with the spec stage1, that would be my choice of clutch for anything short of a 300+ wHP contour.

Spec Stage 1 sound like the real deal :)) hey thanks for the help. I hope no one argues against your words:)
well how much does a fidanza flywheel goes for, and where do i buy it from? and which flywheel is better? fidanza or spec?
thanksssss

buy a spec stage 1 and spec flywheel from CEG member SVT cuervo. He does fast shipping and has the lowest prices.

The spec and fidanza are pretty much the same. Some say the spec is a little lighter. The benefit to buying both spec clutch and flywheel together is that you get them balanced or something.

buy a spec stage 1 and spec flywheel from CEG member SVT cuervo. He does fast shipping and has the lowest prices.

The spec and fidanza are pretty much the same. Some say the spec is a little lighter. The benefit to buying both spec clutch and flywheel together is that you get them balanced or something.

I have the Spec stage 1 and Spec lightweight flywheel on my SVT and I love it. I also bought my stuff from SVTcuervo and he was a great guy to deal with. Fast shipping too! By the way... I believe his Spec stage 1 price was around $272 a few months ago! Send him a PM for his list of prices.

Reebs

IIRC the Spec flywheel is just a fidanza remachined through Spec. My girlfriend bought me a Spec flywheel as a graduation gift, and when it arrived it said fidanza. I don't really care which it is, because it weighed 11 lbs. on the scale.

I have the Spec stage 1 and Spec lightweight flywheel on my SVT and I love it. I also bought my stuff from SVTcuervo and he was a great guy to deal with. Fast shipping too! By the way... I believe his Spec stage 1 price was around $272 a few months ago! Send him a PM for his list of prices.

Reebs

Just adding to these fella's review. SVT Cuervo has the best prices you will find. And as mentioned, his shipping is super fast.

ctamotorsports.com has a better price than SP on the spec stage 1.

anyway i have been wondering this as well. i have a centerforce clutch and want to get spec flywheel. can i just put it on with the existing clutch. but im not gunna do that till i have money for a trans rebuild

Last edited:
ctamotorsports.com has a better price on the spec stage 1.

anyway i have been wondering this as well. i have a centerforce clutch and want to get spec flywheel. can i just put it on with the existing clutch. but im not gunna do that till i have money for a trans rebuild

Why do you guys even mention SP or CTA for SPEC products? SVT Cuervo is cheaper than both.

yea, I seen that but still, why talk about getting them from either place. SVTCuervo sells spec products. And through him you get the cheapest price, and fastest shipping.

ctamotorsports.com has a better price than SP on the spec stage 1.

Yes, wait until you pull your trans for rebuild to put in the spec/fidanza flywheel, don't just pull your trans to put on the flywheel. That clutch would work fine with the flywheel, but you should put in a new clutch when you have it apart!

And the other guy was right, SVT Curevo is way cheaper than both, so don't bother with SP or CTA.

Reebs

got a much better deal with Titan Motorsports than any of the others mentioned......

well, would it be ok, to put in the Spec clutch now, and later on put the spec flywheel in? Other than double labor and waste of time, are there any other issues against me doing that?

well, would it be ok, to put in the Spec clutch now, and later on put the spec flywheel in? Other than double labor and waste of time, are there any other issues against me doing that?

That is a freaken lot of work to just put in the spec flywheel down the road... but I guess you know that. Anyways, I would save up and put in the flywheel now so that the clutch can break in to the new flywheel. Otherwise, resurface the stock flywheel or get it lightened by a machine shop. If you can't afford the spec flywheel now, don't worry about it until you have to pull your trans again!

Dude, wait some time and save some money. If you install both at the same time, you'll break the two items in together at the same time. If you put miles on the clutch, and then install the flywheel later, the clutch might not have worn evenly, which would lead to a variety of problems, I imagine. Premature wear and increased gear rollover noise come to mind.

Back