• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Unusual Door Chime Problem - any ideas?

alien_yet_familiar

Hard-core CEG'er
Just bought my second '98 SVT (T-Red, #988), and am currently putting every little bit of TLC into it that I can spare - hoo-boy does it need it!

Got it home, and I have a problem that I don't remember ever having on the first. When I open the driver door, the courtesy lights in the footwells come on like they should, every time. But that "hey stupid your lights are on" chime doesn't stop, even though the lights are off, and the key is not in the ignition.

I have taken the door switch out, cleaned off a bit of corrosion, but nothing major. The wires are intact, and the switch itself isn't sticking at all.

Here's the strange part - every now and again (it's happened 2 or 3 times) the chime won't chime, but the floor lights will still come on when I open the driver door.

I've done several searches in the old forums, and the archives, and have found lots of people who have a faulty, sticky, or corroded door switch. But I haven't seen anyone with a problem that's similar to this. If anyone does know of a thread, let me know!

I have also seen lots on the timer control module, but every symptom that those cars have had is not what mine has. I don't have problems with the intermittant wiper setting, nor the defrost button.

Or maybe I blocked out the incessant "ding ding ding ding ding" from the last SVT because it was so traumatic to listen to for hours on end when detailing the interior? :rolleyes: Maybe they all do that and I'm just fretting about nonsense.

Thanks for all your help!

search (here, or the old forums) in the troubleshooting forum (be sure to select "ALL" date range) for the CTU (Central Timer Unit) troubleshooting procedure.

It involves turning the key.. hitting a button, clicking the cruise.. etc etc. a sequence

I tried the timer module test:
Ignition off, hold the defrost button, then turn ignition on, then put wipers in the intermittent position. Then cycle through by hitting the defrost button, and it turns on and off in this order - wipers, defrost light, interior lights, seat belt warning light.
Is this the same unit you're talking about? If so, everything tested right.

Welcome. I wonder if your car has the foglamp mod. Check if the high beams stay on when you turn on the foglamps. If it does, maybe some wiring got undone.

Not sure if this is the same thing or not. My Mystique has a "false" door chime thing going on. In my case, even with the key removed. The part that goes in and out with the key stays suck in. If I get a door chime when I open the door, all I have to do is touch where the ignition key goes in and the center part pops back out and the chime stops.

Still have not figured out how to stop it from sticking in the in position?

graphite lubrication on the cylinder lock... or inspect the key-lock (the portion that keeps you from removing the key while in the "ON" position.. it may be sticking.

worst case.. replace the ignition, and reprogram your keys (if you have a v6 with PATS)

I've had the same symptoms on mine before, and I found in a search on the old forums that you can reset it by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes (??). I did that and it has worked fine ever since. BTW, my "check" with the wipers did the same as yours too...
Erick --

Tried to see if I could see if the little "key guard" thingy is sticking, and I think that may be the problem. I'm going to get some graphite powder next time I head in to town and see if that loosens things up. If not, I may just have to live with the maddening dingdingding for a while. There's lots more that this car needs before a new ignition!

AHA!!!

AHA!!!

I FOUND IT! The little cylinder that should pop out when the key is removed is sticking. All I have to do is give it a little tap with my finger and it pops out and ahhhhh..... blessed silence. I'll see if some graphite will loosen it up, and if not, it's easy to live with now that I know the secret password. Thanks!

Back