• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Custom Ground Camshafts

Blkdvll

CEG'er
I've been lurking the board for a little while now, and see a lot of stuff about people switching to SVT cams, and even putting them in 3.0L swaps. I just searched pretty well but really didn't come up with anything in the way of custom ground cams. :shrug:

Is there not much to be gained? Cost/trouble vs. HP increases? Just curious as to why there isn't talk about this.:help:

cat cams makes different sets but at over 1000 for a set not alot of people bother with it.

im going to try and make a set up here at my tech school on one of the CAD lathes. might be a while tho

basically what yamaha racer said (can't believe I'm actually agreeing with him)

The SVT cams are actually fairly aggressive for a streetable cam setup; if you go much more aggressive they aren't as friendly for driving around town. It has definately been done though, CAT cams is one example, plus some of the pro racers running duratecs have had some done, though don't recall who was making the really custom ones. I know back in the day Prodrive had some crazy stuff for the BTCC cars, and Leo Capaldi and some of the other World Challenge Cougar guys had had some done. It gets VERY expensive for 4 custom cams, especially when its not a terribly well known engine, so for most shops, knowing how the cam needs to spec'ed is just a guess; hopefully an educated guess, but a guess none the less.

btw, that $1k is for a set of USED cat cams, new ones are significantly more.

im going to try and make a set up here at my tech school on one of the CAD lathes. might be a while tho

Buddy you might find it a bit hard to cut a lobe with a lathe in a tech school.
Cams are hardened steel. you won't find any carbide inserts to cut that ****. Maybe if you machined your own cams from 4340 steel and then heat treated them, and found a CNC grinder and a guy to program it with your profile you may have something. But by that time you will have spent so much money you'll be kicking yourself for having such a dumb idea.

Back