• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best looking spot for front license plate

I dont run one on my car or truck. They look fugly and 100% dont belong on the front end of a CSVT. My bumper has 2 tiny holes in it, and I'm not going to use them. They dont stick out because the car is black - and I'm not going to be mounting a liscence plate there. I've got my brand new, never left the package, lisence plate in the glovebox with the tabs thrown in there... I've got no intention of ever using that plate...

How do you get those push-clips(on the front plate bracket) out without destroying them? Do you need a special tool, or should i just destroy them and get the front plate off?

bolted mine up on the passenger side in front of the mesh. Also if I want to take it off just unscrew two bolts and the plate and bracket are off.

standard.jpg

When I end up Painting the Front Bumper, Im gonna completely remove it and fill in the holes....

If anything Im gonna mount it on the front windshield with suction cups.....

- amyn

when I had it on there, i cut the top and bottom of the plate...so all that was left were the numbers and letters. Drilled a hole on each side of the plate and zip tied it to the front mesh. I have since taken the plate off, gotten 1 $80 ticket and a couple warnings.......

Two pieces of metal strapping: roughly 1" wide by 1/16" thick. Home Depot sells some with holes in it. Purchase along with six bolts (with nuts and washers). Total cost around $7.

Bend the strapping into a "7" shape. Drill into the bumper cover (measure twice, cut once!) and mount. Two bolts attach the strapping pieces to the bumper, the other four attach the license plate. The built-in holes in the strapping may need to be widened to accommodate the license plate holes.

Be careful with the bolts, the lower license plate ones can rub against your bumper paint so you'll need to protect the bumper from them.

ElKy helped me with mine ... well, he did it for me. I'm extremely grateful.

The angle looks pretty extreme in this photo but it looks straight when viewed from a standing position. Click the pic to enlarge.

Back