• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Antifreeze overflow tank leaking

I have a 98 Ford Contour SE with 205K miles. It appears that my overflow tank has a small leak and underpressure, I am leaking a small amount of anti-freeze. The tank looks very brittle and I would like to replace it. What is my best option here?

Thanks!

Duct Tape????? That won't hold more than one heat cycle.

If you want a good temporary fix, use JB weld. Prep the area well by draining the tank to bellow the crank line, thean clen the area with alcohol, followed by sanding it with some rough sandpaper, then clean it agian with alcohol, finaly apply the JB weld. Wait for it to fully cure (24hrs). Then fill the tank up to the proper level and hope that it holds! :)

If you go searching in a wrecking yard there are two styles of coolant bottles. One has a tiny overflow hose on the neck. The other doesn't. They are interchangeable as long as you use the corresponding cap. The one with the little overflow hose is used on late 98 and newer while the other is used on 95 to early 98. Personally, I have a preference to the early one.

If you go searching in a wrecking yard there are two styles of coolant bottles. One has a tiny overflow hose on the neck. The other doesn't. They are interchangeable as long as you use the corresponding cap. The one with the little overflow hose is used on late 98 and newer while the other is used on 95 to early 98. Personally, I have a preference to the early one.

IIRC I have an overflow hose on my '96, not that it really matters, becuase yes they are interchangeable...

Back