• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OEM MAF Gasket is $48?

RogerB

CEG'er
I'm putting an SVT airbox on my 96. I've been running an ITG open element for a long time, and I'm finally tired of all the hot air.

Anyway, I already have an SVT airbox, but I've lost the original MAF gasket. I looked it up on Team Ford and the discount price was $48. What the...!?

There are MAF gaskets from BAT for $5, but I think they are just for the adapters (if you're going to a 3530 or something). I could maybe make my own, but what is so special about this one that makes it so expensive? Is there an effective alternative?

BTW, I searched quite a bit, but most people aren't headed this way, and the 4-letter minimum really gets in the way when you're searching for things like "MAF" and "SVT." Maybe this info is out there, but I couldn't sift it out.

Thanks, anyone.

Oh, if anyone is tossing away a diffuser screen, maybe send it my way instead. I simply can't find them anywhere.

I'm putting an SVT airbox on my 96...

Oh, if anyone is tossing away a diffuser screen, maybe send it my way instead. I simply can't find them anywhere.

Isn't the screen the gasket? It's been awhile since I looked at my SVT intake but the OD of the screen was encased in rubber. I thought that was the gasket?
I think that is why it costs so much.

If you are talking about the MAF Screen, then I will discount and sell one to you for a price of $39.95 shipped. :)

Isn't the screen the gasket? It's been awhile since I looked at my SVT intake but the OD of the screen was encased in rubber. I thought that was the gasket?

No, there is actually a gasket that goes between the TB and the UIM. Its like a soft aluminum gasket.

List price is the same for both SVT and non-SVT. The nons don't have a screen.

Jim, I'm further upstream--the airbox to MAF connection. I'm not altering the TB for "class rules" reasons.

Now that I read back to the original post, I dont know what I was thinking. The MAF doesnt even connect to the TB.
foreheadslap.gif
I think I saw $48 and automatically assumed that was the one you were talking about. Now that I know which one your talking about, that seems like a rip off to me.

I'm starting to think you're right and the Team Ford catalog is wrong. Wouldn't be the first time they had mis-marked items in there.

I assembled the SVT box to my MAF and now it makes more sense that the screen and gasket would be integral. Assembled with no gaskets, there's about a 1/8" gap between the two faces.

I'll just have to check with Bill Jenkins next week.

That can't be right (Its been so long since I had a stock SVT airbox, but...) I removed my diffuser screen way before I got an open-air setup and I did NOT buy another gasket, nor did I need one.

So, what I am saying is, I can't remember the gasket and screen being integrated.. since I removed the screen and didn't buy a new gasket...

:confused:

Back