• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Change oil filter without oil change?

Redstar

CEG'er
I took my car to a quicky lube and they put in a crappy filter. Can I change the filter without making a huge mess or loosin a lot of oil?

yeah you will loose a little less than a quart I think, honestly I'd just change your oil sooner if you're worried about it, its more trouble than its worth

No.... it is NOT more trouble than it is worth.. a poor filtration medium is going to break down more rapidly. It will also allow particulate matter of a larger size through, doing less of a filter's JOB. Increased wear, increased build-up, increased break-down of your oil...

It is nowhere NEAR too much trouble. but, you have shown your propensity for slacking in maintenance; at least that's what it seems to be..

I change my oil myself and don't make mistakes with the products I use, I don't consider myself lazy with my car's maintenance.

i just took mine off without draining anything to look for a leak. i just had to add a small amount of oil. but i put that same filter back on. just fill the new filter like half way with oil. and add as needed.

I would have done it right the first time, but until Friday I had not had access to the school shop, making oil collecting and disposal a pain in the ass. Good to know it won't leak too much.

just do it at home if you have the equipment to lift the car some how and then take your oil to auto zone. just grab some milk jugs. and double bag them. thats what i do. ill have up to 6 gallons of used oil at a time then my dad takes it to his work and dumps it in there tank.

Uhm... what are you talking about?

what oil?

The only oil that can "pour" out is the oil out of the filter you are removing. the REST of the oil is in the oil pan, which is lower (physically) than the filter. I don't see oil jumping up and climbing any hills or fighting gravity just to run out the filter and cause you to have a bad day.

You can be as fast or as slow as you like.. you're gonna lose the same amount of oil; roughly one quart which was pooled inside the filter itself.
:confused:

Uhm... what are you talking about?

what oil?

The only oil that can "pour" out is the oil out of the filter you are removing. the REST of the oil is in the oil pan, which is lower (physically) than the filter. I don't see oil jumping up and climbing any hills or fighting gravity just to run out the filter and cause you to have a bad day.

You can be as fast or as slow as you like.. you're gonna lose the same amount of oil; roughly one quart which was pooled inside the filter itself.
:confused:
Yea...that's kinda funny.

I have been using 5w-30 mobil 1 oil......then a mobil 1 oil filter. I have been using this for a couple years now and it is excellent. I havent had any problems and we all know that Mobil is great reliable oil (cant say the same for there expensive ASS gas) ahahahahahaha!!!!

Back