• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Remanufactured Transmissions

arin

CEG'er
I'm looking into getting a 98 mystique V6 with a bad trans w/114,00(for $850).. Has anyone ever gotten transmissions off of Ebay from Pheonix transmissions? It says they replace all movable parts, "dyno test", etc.. How long have some of your remanufactured transmissions lasted? Is it worth it to buy the $850 trans from ebay & the $130 shipping cost? I wont have to worry about labor costs, too. Does a blown trans at 114k show neglect for the vehicle or would I be OK with doing this? Thanks

you can get a brand new Euro spec trans from spmotorsports for $895 ... doesn't seem like a hard choice if the reman is $850 ... :shrug:

I'm looking into getting a 98 mystique V6 with a bad trans w/114,00(for $850).. Has anyone ever gotten transmissions off of Ebay from Pheonix transmissions? It says they replace all movable parts, "dyno test", etc.. How long have some of your remanufactured transmissions lasted? Is it worth it to buy the $850 trans from ebay & the $130 shipping cost? I wont have to worry about labor costs, too. Does a blown trans at 114k show neglect for the vehicle or would I be OK with doing this? Thanks

Automatic or manual?

If it were a manual then I would say this does show neglect, because the primary reason why the manuals go out is because of a busted differential, which usually is because of spinning the tires..

The CD4E automatic just needs a lot of care, on average they last about 100K miles but if you do fluid changes once every year then it lasts longer. I would say go for it, it has a lot of life left yet.

PRT only sells CD4Es, not manuals.

BAT only sells manuals, not CD4E.

He has a Mystake...what are the odds of that car having a stick....

114K on a CD4E is not a particularly early failure. This tranny isn't a particularly good piece of engineering, even if well maintained. Mine started having problems at 125K and it was maintained on the manufacturer's schedule.

As for PRT, I'd suggest doing some Google searching to find out more about them before doing any business with them....

Are there any other tranmissions compatible with the contour/mystique? Ive heard of cougars having similiar(same?) transmissions?
EDIT: Actually, I searched CD4E and found that these cars have it:
* 1995–1997 Ford Probe
* 1995–2000 Ford Contour
* 1995–2000 Mercury Mystique
* Ford Mondeo
* 2001–2007 Ford Escape
* 2001–2006 Mazda Tribute
* 1999–2002 Mercury Cougar
* 2005–2007 Mercury Mariner

Does anyone know if the CD4E on all of these are exactly the same and interchangeable?

Last edited:
can't comment on all of them but I do believe that they are different from the V6 to the I4, the bell housings are different, or at leas they are on the mtx

I'm not sure what it would run you but, see how much it would cost to have Terry Haines fix the blown tranny, it may be similar in price and it would probably last a lot longer.

Since your not worried about labor I assume you or someone you know is willing to pull/replace it. Shipping is about right.

Well, i was obviously talking about the 2.5 ATX ones...

Probably not compatible with the Probe or the SUVs...that's just a guess on my part, but the Probe had a different engine, and the SUVs, well, they're SUVs with 3.0L Duratecs.

what would the ballpark price range be for rebuilding a v6 atx transmission w/labor?

The ATX rebuild picture story:cool: Very informative, and not lost in the site changeover. (I put it in my bookmarks, I have a CD4E in my Mystique.) Only 40k left:help:

Would someone with no mechanic experience be able to do that ATX rebuild from the pictures and such? I know a mechanic, but he wouldnt be able to do the rebuild, but could help me on specific problems I'm sure.. How much would all the parts cost if I was doing the labor for that rebuild?

Back