• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Any Must-Do's while im in cali?

Snipey

Veteran CEG'er
I'm flyin out to San Diego 5am tomorrow morning and since ive never been more west than west virginia, I'm lookin for some good fun things to visit/check out while im there. Im going with my mom so no strip clubs or girls gone wild action.
We're flying to San Diego and driving up to Los Angeles and flying out from there. Hoping to rent somethin nice for the drive but i doubt we'll end up with anything better than a sh*tty convertible.
Lets hear it

Easy things to do in San Diego while you are with your mother:

check out the Mall downtown.. It is called the Horton Plaza. Its an outdoor mall.. about 4 or 5 stories with zig-zag escalators and ramps leading up and down it. all doors to businesses face inward to an open atmosphere center. Park in the provided garage.. get validated to avoid charges..

See a movie in the mall's excellent theatre.

Go to [SIZE=-1]ghirardelli chocolates on the downtown streets, not one block from the mall, for an ultra intense chocolate shake, smoothie, banana-split or ice-cream cone.[/SIZE]
Ghirardelli Chocolate

[SIZE=-1] - www.ghirardelli.com
643 5th Ave, San Diego - (619) 234-2449

[/SIZE]
As America's longest continuously operating chocolate manufacturer, Ghirardelli has established its position as America's premium chocolate company for more than 150 years. We are one of very few American manufacturers that make chocolate starting from the cocoa bean through to finished products. Throughout the process, we take special steps to ensure that our premium chocolate delivers our signature intense, smooth-melting chocolate taste.
Hop on the trolley downtown (Since you are already there) and ride the redline trolly (stops in downtown about every other block east/west... not far from the chocolate shop) to Tijuana. Even if you don't go in to the inner city, the border tourist trap flea market area is a fun place to go (once or twice). Don't drive there.. tons of insurance and nuisance required.. :D

Head on up I5 towards LA and go north of LA to Six Flags, Knott's Berry Farm, or Disney's California Adventure. (water parks at Six Flags, etc)

Enjoy!

awesome, thanks! i picked up a good deal on a gps this week so i think it will make finding places much easier driving around.
i'll have my laptop on me so i'll be using this post as a guide :)
thanks again

Also, you can swing over to Coronado Island for some tourism (or tourist traps, whichever you prefer..)

Its also home to the US Navy Seal training facility and some great ocean/beach access.

One website I found

umm, don't u think this is better asked in the cali forum? :shrug:

hehe, j/k. :laugh:

i'd visit the SD Wild Animal Park and also Gas Lamp Alley for food and libations. since Ray recommended Coronado, try out Moo Town since ur there, if u don't mind the line, of course. there is this one restaurant in Coronado that over looks the city, but i can't seem to remember the name. well.... it an awesome sight if ur lucky enough to be having dinner and looking at the city skyline and city suddenly disappears coz an aircraft carrier is passing by.

btw, tijuana's alot of fun, but u said no girls gone wild stuff, right? i'd still recommend Adelita's in Revolucion. ;) and thinking about the lobster dinners at Puerto Neuvo is making me hungry now....

Last edited:
The "gas lamp district" is the downtown area (about 3 blocks wide and 5 or 6 blocks tall) that encompasses the central-western area of downtown. A lot of nice wine/dine restaurants, gift shops, night clubs, jazz bars, etc.. nice scenery for you, too (walking down the street even) at night!!

I was at 32nd St Naval Station (both wet side and dry side) on harbor drive (just east from gaslamp on Harbor Dr.) for some years... Its where 15-S dead-ends in to Harbor.

I miss it.. And the Mirimar MCAS area.. I was there for a bit too.

Ahhh, no wonder! I worked in SD for about 2 years, I help manage the building of SD newest international water reclaimation plant(fine, it's a s**t plant!).

It was a 200mile daily commute from where i'm at now and i did it in my tour too. Guess it's my reason why i still have it, it's never let me down.

lol! I'm sitting in Logan right now. $8 Internet FTL. Had no idea the security and restaurants and stuff are closed at night, my bad... flight leaves at 8am.

ouch thats sounds like it hurts.

having a cell phone you can connect to your laptop and get internet access through .... priceless :laugh:

ouch thats sounds like it hurts.

having a cell phone you can connect to your laptop and get internet access through .... priceless :laugh:
the real frustrating thing: I HAVE a phone with a data plan and use it as a modem pretty often. But it's completely Mac incompatible so I couldn't use it with my PowerBook. :(

go to In-N-Out burger joint..awesome place

l_922367c7bdfdc8d491e8ab6c7a289023.jpg

That looks like the location off of I5, just south of the Naval Air Station, at 500 Mile of Cars way. (almost to Chula Vista)

If So, I've been there... awesome burgers, either way.

Back