• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Are all MTX trans the same?

Imo000

CEG'er
I've been searching the forum for two evening now but couldn't find anything specific about this.

Are all ATX for '98 2.5L are the same? There are 4 different models listed when I do a search on car-part.com but since they are all for the same engine and same car, how different can they be? The one I'm after is a -CA model and it looks to be rather hard to find.

I'm asking about the compatibility and differences between the -AA, -AB, -CA and -CB automatic transmisssions.

Last edited:
The four differences are probably Pre-98/Post-98, V6 and I4 variants..

Well... I am sure about the V6 and I4 bellhousing matings being different, but the other two models, I am unsure of.

The four differences are probably Pre-98/Post-98, V6 and I4 variants..

Well... I am sure about the V6 and I4 bellhousing matings being different, but the other two models, I am unsure of.

You see that's what's so strange about this. It's not pre '98 or post '98 and nothing to do with I4 or V6s.

For '98 there are 11 trans choices, four are for the V6 ATX and another four for the I4 ATX. Here is a list of what I'm talking about:

M.T., 4 cyl (2.0L), thru 2/8/98
M.T., 4 cyl (2.0L), from 2/9/98
M.T., 6 cyl (2.5L)
A.T., 4 cyl (2.0L), ID F73P-BB
A.T., 6 cyl (2.5L), ID F73P-AB
A.T., 4 cyl (2.0L), ID F73P-BA
A.T., 6 cyl (2.5L), ID F73P-AA
A.T., 4 cyl (2.0L), ID F83P-DA
A.T., 6 cyl (2.5L), ID F83P-CA
A.T., 6 cyl (2.5L), ID F83P-CB
A.T., 4 cyl (2.0L), ID F83P-DB

Mine is the third from the bottom -CA. Are all '98-up V6 ATXs interchangable with each ohter?

The local wrecker sais that the differece will casue the different than original code ATX shift differently.

This is pretty confusing to me. I don't understand why are so many different ATXs that are not compatible. OR is this not true?

Try searching or posting this in the Transaxle forum. Those guys collectively have an answer for you, for sure.
This is the transaxle forum! :shrug: Maybe they're revisions of some sort with the CB model the most recent. At any rate, I might be wrong but since these ATXs are electronic shifting and since the car's computer shifts the ATX based on engine performance I'd guess that any 2.5L ATX would work.
Karl

are all the manual transmisions the same? Meaning can u use say a manual 98 gearbox from a 2 liter and use it in a 98 2.5 v6? Will it work or im guessin its got different parts in it :shrug:

forgot to say that the only reason i said if they fit is that they are all called mtx75 im sure thats why i was curious :)

well most of the trans is the same. the only real difference is, like Ray said, the bellhousing (which happens to be one half of the case)

so in theory if u unbolted the bellhousing and replaced it with the v6 one would that work? or would the bolt patters still be wrong ?

im not positive but i think it might. im not sure what the bolt pattern is to mate the two halfs together.

ok, so lets make this a little simpler. Can any '98 V6 ATX interchange and work with all '98 V6 cars? Has anyone ever had problems fitting a different code ATX to their car?

If I go to the local junk yard and buy a used ATX off a
'98 V6, will that work withouth any problem with my '98?

When I was searching for my ATx I was told that there was 2 different torque converters. I think it was an 10.5" & an 11". I always figured this was for the I4,smaller, & the V6. I swapped one into mine out of a 2000 cougar w/ no trouble but I picked up the flywheel just in case but they were the same so I didn't use it. BTW the codes didn't match on mine & the guy at LKQ told me it wasn't going to work but It did. Good luck.

no not really. this was a while back & I have since sold the car. The trans that cam out of it is scrap by now.

no not really. this was a while back & I have since sold the car. The trans that cam out of it is scrap by now.

Ok, no problem. I was just after to see what two codes worked in your case.

Strange how no one here knows anything about this issue. I would have expected at least a few experts to chime in.

Well from my knowledge of these darn MTX-75's is that The diff's are different in some I believe its the Post/Pre-98 Pre-98 looks to be a stronger Diff ( thicker gears ) Post-98 seems to have whats called the Spider gears.IIRC..I know this from taking apart my stock trans on my old SVT Contour and a new BAT trans..Now im pretty sure the BAT trans wasnt a Pre-98 so im not sure why the diff was different looking..But i do have pictures to prove the Difference..

Well from my knowledge of these darn MTX-75's is that The diff's are different in some I believe its the Post/Pre-98 Pre-98 looks to be a stronger Diff ( thicker gears ) Post-98 seems to have whats called the Spider gears.IIRC..I know this from taking apart my stock trans on my old SVT Contour and a new BAT trans..Now im pretty sure the BAT trans wasnt a Pre-98 so im not sure why the diff was different looking..But i do have pictures to prove the Difference..

wasn't the new MTXs BAT have euro spec?

Back