• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

some help needed. w/pics

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
ok so I'm getting ready to order parts for the svt. now i have a small oil leak. i know that the oil pan gasket DOES need to be replaced. my valve covers are not leaking.

the only other place leaking is this one. is this the crankshaft position sensor? if so dose anyone know the gasket part#?
this is right next to the a/c compressor
P1010121.jpg

and I'm guessing its flowing from that down the oil filter. the oil cooler lines are not leaking. its either the sensor leak flowing down there or i have a problem with the mating suffice of my oil filter. no theres not a left over oil filter gasket in there.

P1010122.jpg

thanks everyone.

the crank sensor is most likely going to be an o-ring, id replace that and clean everything up and re-check for other leaks

spray brakleen on it and get it all cleaned up so you can try to determine where it is leaking form exactly.

Im not so sure that the sensor is really the issue there, it wouldnt hurt to replace since its not too hard to get too.

It almost looks like its oil being flung. Does the top of the hood have what looks like dirt splatter running parallel to the belt? Its possible your crankshaft seal is going or is gone.

For the oil filter is it possible you didnt tighten it down enough? girlie arms? :laugh: I know there is a sensor on that side, but its not right above that area, its off to the side... and it might be a knocksensor, I dont remember.

no oil is being flung
oil is coming from that sensor and the sensor is right round the corner from the oil filter. and yea the oil filter is tight. but as you can see in the 2nd pic theres oil on the y-pipe flange. and on the bottom of the oil filter. ok so anyone know the part# for the o-ring? its also possible that the sensor is loose. i have not try ed anything yet. will do tonight or tomorrow. everything is just so compact. grrrr, thanks everyone. i shall get back to you

Last edited:
I'm also for cleaning it up (brake clean, simple green, degreaser, etc.) to see what you really have. It is easy for oil spilled when changing the oil filter to spread into that area. It can also be from the oil pan gasket. Until you can really look at it better you're only guessing.

that sensor has oil comming out of it OR oil is comming from above it. that sensor is above the oil pan. from what i can see right now its that sensor or something above it. i went back out to poke around but the car is to hot. now i cant see at all above the oil filter. or to the side. so im blind right now. in a bit when the car cools off i will clean everything up. but the sensor is that the crank pos sensor?

im going to go through my ford cd right now.

ok that is the crank pos sensor. and pud your right it looks like the knock sensor is right by the oil filter. i guess im going to have to wait untill day light and - one car in the garage.

ok everything is cleaned up now. i removed the crank pos sensor and all is well there. now reinstalled. i removed my oil filter and there was no oil what so ever above. so i cleaned the mating surface and checked and cleaned the filter gasket, then cranked that down. it was kinda loose. i was like wtf. it was still obvious that i need a new oil pan gasket. the only other thing that might, just might be wanting to leak is the timing chain cover. but i really don't think thats a problem. regardless i shall wait and see if the clean places become oily again.

ok that is the crank pos sensor. and pud your right it looks like the knock sensor is right by the oil filter. ...

The knock sensor is on the firewall side of the engine. The sensor that commonly leaks is the oil presure switch which is to the left of the oil filter and close to the A/C compressor. Check that area with a inspection mirror.

The knock sensor is on the firewall side of the engine. The sensor that commonly leaks is the oil presure switch which is to the left of the oil filter and close to the A/C compressor. Check that area with a inspection mirror.

Thats right :cool: I confuse the two sometimes

oil is no longer leaking from the oil filter, i was just a dumbass.:troutslap: still waiting to see if oil shows up on the other parts i cleaned. but i have seen in some how-to's that you have to support the motor to remove the oil pan. umm I'm kinda just like wtf. but if this is true please let me know.

You don't have to support the engine when removing the pan. One bolt under the crank pulley will have to be hand torqued, the frame is in the way so you can't get a torque wrench in there.

Are you sure the oil switch isn't leaking? If the pan gasket leaks, the oil mess doesn't flow upward like the picture you posted shows.
Also check the spare oil gallery plugs. When I pulled my engine to fix my head gaskets, which were the major cause of my oil leaks, the plugs weren't tight.
I always had drips of oil on the heat shield by the A/C compressor.

How many miles are on your engine?

i have not looked yet. i was just giving and update. i will keep everyone posted. i havent had a ton of time to work on this.

Back