• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Problem with Back-Up Lights

SVThopeful

CEG'er
I recently noticed that my back-up lights aren’t working, at first I thought it was the bulbs but they both went out at the same time and I tried different bulbs with no luck. Then I noticed that my license plate lights don’t work all the time either.

The license plate lights only work when I put the car in reverse and the lights are turned off, but once I turn the lights come on, they don’t work and the back-up lights never work.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know a possible cause?

Try searching the archives. There are probably quite a few threads relating to your problem.

This screams a grounding problem

This screams a grounding problem

From your description I would strongly suggest that the first thing you do is check out your ground. Strange behavior is often a grounding problem. Take and run a wire from the ground to the back up lights in the trunk to the negative pole on the battery and see if your backup lights start working along with your license plate lights. If so, then find out where your ground gave up the ghost.

Oh I see michigan, definitely check out the poor ground. Salt (from the roads) + Metal = a lightweight brown spotted car and sometimes poor grounds.

sounds like a relay issue to me.

I'm sorry... which relay (for the reverse lights) would that be?? Its always quite helpful to indicate some sort of location, or at least a search term that pulls up the aforementioned location.

I'm sorry... which relay (for the reverse lights) would that be?? Its always quite helpful to indicate some sort of location, or at least a search term that pulls up the aforementioned location.

...and Ray swoops in for the pwn! Lol j/k :crazy: . But seriously, sounds like a grounding issue. All those lights share the same ground I believe. I know there is one ground behind the plastic trim at the very rear of the trunk, but I don't think this is the suspect one, because we're talking about the reverse/license plate lights. The wires run along the driver's side support for the trunk lid. Start here...

...and Ray swoops in for the pwn!

No ownage here.. I was pointing out helpful things to provide in the troubleshooting forum. He was trying to be a productive member, I was just pointing out things to do to hone his posts...

No ownage here.. I was pointing out helpful things to provide in the troubleshooting forum. He was trying to be a productive member, I was just pointing out things to do to hone his posts...

I'm j/k Ray. You and Tony are just really good at making things clear and whipping these guys in to shape :laugh: haha

Get a long wire

Get a long wire

As I and others have suggested you first step should be to get a long ~ 20 foot wire and attach it to the negative pole of the battery and start checking your grounds on the rear trunk lid. If this fixed your problem you now know the WHAT then it will be up to you to find the WHERE.

Remember anytime you have flakey behaviour with an electrical system, the first place to start is with the ground, this trouble shooting method is extremely effective. Try it, it is easy, quick, and quite likely your problem

Back