• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Down for the count

Brent372

Official SE Event Coordinator
Well the original plan was to go to the Atlanta meet this weekend. But a new car payment nixed that idea.

Instead I headed across to state to hang our with HolyRollerzC3 for his brithday. It turns out he had a business meeting in Ft. Lauderdale on Monday, so we caravaned back across Alligator Alley.

About 3/4 of the way across I hear a ticking.. I pull overy with HR3C right behind.
It sounds bad.. possibly a valve.
No CEL, just noises.

We decide to press on, taking it nice and easy and to leave the car at my mechanics' shop.

Finally back into civilization, we exit the expressway. As I am rolling to stop at a tollbooth, my oil light comes on and the car dies, sounding terrible.

We pushed it off the road, and called roadside assistance.

It was towed to my mechanics.

Now normally I would be really pissed, but when I bought it, I purchased an extended warranty....

We shall see what the mechanic says.... anyways.. it will only be $50 out of my pocket.

sounds like an oil leak to me. at the dealership i work at we get that sometimes. this one lady didnt change her oil in 23,000 miles!!! the engine ticks like crazy now even with oil!! i hope its not that bad though. good luck

It was a very traumatic thing to watch our Baby Girl loaded onto the flatbed towtruck! We left her at the mechanic with words of encouragement from ourselves and HR3C. :cry:

to be honest...every mention of a "valve" tick seems to turn out as a toasted bearing...actually i don't know of anyone who's had an actual valve tick.

IDK guy here in Knoxville has had a tick for quite some time and hasnt gotten better or worse. Sorry to here Brent. Thank goodness for warranties!

Sounds like a spun bearing for sure. Glad to hear you have a warranty! Get them to replace it with a new long block!

Sounds like a spun bearing for sure. Glad to hear you have a warranty! Get them to replace it with a new long block!

yep, spun bearing, engine is toast, i feel so bad for brent and kim, just luckily it was where it happened, not in GA, and I was there with them, and they jsut bouhgt a focus so they arent stranded without a car!

Brent; she'll be back soon, better then ever!

yep, spun bearing, engine is toast, i feel so bad for brent and kim, just luckily it was where it happened, not in GA, and I was there with them, and they jsut bouhgt a focus so they arent stranded without a car!

Like new SVT FTW!

I think it'll be covered as long as you don't have any mods visible like headers or sup'm.

I'd see if you can work out a deal to do a 3L swap. The 2.5 SVT engine is considerably more money than a 3L. The money saved using the 3L engine instead should cover most, if not all the extra labor involved in making the 3L work. Something to think about if you haven't already.

I'd see if you can work out a deal to do a 3L swap. The 2.5 SVT engine is considerably more money than a 3L. The money saved using the 3L engine instead should cover most, if not all the extra labor involved in making the 3L work. Something to think about if you haven't already.

There's no way they're going to mess around putting a different engine in a car under warranty. At least I cannot see that happening. Just make sure they don't try screwing you over with an SE longblock or something.

There's no way they're going to mess around putting a different engine in a car under warranty. At least I cannot see that happening. Just make sure they don't try screwing you over with an SE longblock or something.

you can order a reman svt motor straight from ford. thats at least where i got mine 2 years ago or so.

If it's a factory Ford extended warranty, I agree it would not be easy sell. If the warranty is 3rd party insurer (ie he can take it anywhere to have the work performed), then I see no reason why Brent could not get the 3L swap done outside of a Ford dealership.

If it's a factory Ford extended warranty, I agree it would not be easy sell. If the warranty is 3rd party insurer (ie he can take it anywhere to have the work performed), then I see no reason why Brent could not get the 3L swap done outside of a Ford dealership.

They might be willing to do the swap, but I think they'll dump the remainder of the warranty because the engine was not designed for this application. Beyond not covering the engine, if he should have tranny, clutch, or diff problems later on, they could just blame the extra power from the 3L and send him packing.

An SE long block would be out of the question, but any Duratec 2.5 shortblock should do. The only problem MIGHT be a little power loss because of the different piston design and loss of compression. So if they can't find an SVT engine, an SE short block with SVT pistons and your existing heads/timing equipment should work out good. More labor, but that is what warranty insurance is required to offer - equivalent replacement parts.

Last edited:
Its not a factory warranty, its through an insurance company... they are going to do as little work as possible. they have already begun saying things like "crank rebuild" and things are prolly going to get nasty just to get a new engine, let alone a 3l swap and stuff!

Its not a factory warranty, its through an insurance company... they are going to do as little work as possible. they have already begun saying things like "crank rebuild" and things are prolly going to get nasty just to get a new engine, let alone a 3l swap and stuff!

You got to speak in a language the Insurance Company understands, cost reduction! I think it's safe to say that a 3L engine is quite a bit cheaper than a 2.5 and 2.5 SVT engine. What I would do is find out how much it's going to cost to repair/replace your SVT engine. Then armed with those numbers, find a low mileage 3L and have the shop write up an estimate using the motor you found. Present the insurance company with your battle plan showing how it's going to save them money. You put it those terms, and I doubt very much the insurance company is going to "insist" they spend more!

Another card to play is if it comes down to engine replacement vs repair and the insurance company is bound to give you a comparable replacement, we all know the standard 2.5 is not a match. The 3.0L is, 200HP just like the SVT engine. Sure the 3L has more torque, but I doubt very much they will recognize that much less say no on the account of a little extra torque.

If you want a 3L and are willing to do a bit of leg work and tactical reasoning, I'm certain Brent can make it happen.

Last edited:
They might be willing to do the swap, but I think they'll dump the remainder of the warranty because the engine was not designed for this application. Beyond not covering the engine, if he should have tranny, clutch, or diff problems later on, they could just blame the extra power from the 3L and send him packing.

An SE long block would be out of the question, but any Duratec 2.5 shortblock should do. The only problem MIGHT be a little power loss because of the different piston design and loss of compression. So if they can't find an SVT engine, an SE short block with SVT pistons and your existing heads/timing equipment should work out good. More labor, but that is what warranty insurance is required to offer - equivalent replacement parts.

I agree... IF you ever talked them into putting a 3L in there it would have to be on conditions that it'd terminate the rest of your warranty.

Back