• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

torx smorx

jd2-98s

Veteran CEG'er
Doing suspension work on black tour, new struts. Everything was going smooth, working with a friend who was doing the passenger side. I handed him the 18mm and breaker-bar to remove the pinch bolt to knuckle.... I can only guess the mechanic that did the axle put the torx bolt used for the pinch bolt on the ball-joint to knuckle. Proof being it was a 18mm head bolt and 18mm nut on the ball-joint pinch. Anyway, even after spaying the hell out of it, and using a 55m torx, pressing in on the socket and friend pulling to keep it flush, tried and tried, sprayed and sprayed, heated up (have to be careful around a strut) and then finally stripped it.

So ginded some flat spots to fit a 19mm wrench and the angle made the wrench keep slipping.. Said forget this and took the whole knuckle and strut out. Going to weld a bolt to the head of the torx and hope it will work.

HPIM0245.jpg

HPIM0249.jpg

drill it out, if you can
I dont know much about suspension, but i had this problem while working on my exhaust, so i just drilled out the bolt.

BTW i was putting the muffler on you gave me

if

if

If it was in the ball-joint pinch. Yes, But this one threads into the casting of the knuckle...

This worked.... Good use of a wrench. Thats what I call non-slip grip..

HPIM0253-1.jpg

HPIM0254.jpg

HPIM0255.jpg

drill it out, if you can
I dont know much about suspension, but i had this problem while working on my exhaust, so i just drilled out the bolt.

BTW i was putting the muffler on you gave me

Good to hear the muffler worked out good. I would hate to drill that knuckle. I would of just went to a junker if it came down to that.

Oh man, this reminds me of my Ford Ranger with the 2.9 Mazda V6. I did a head job and found out that the Head bolts were Torx!! We almost stripped one while torque'ing it!!

oh man those pictures are a riot!
I was skeptical at first when you said you'd do that, but damn, you sure did get it out!
You should mount that to a plaque and put it up on the wall. :D

duh!
i left my brain at home yesterday!
haha

LOL, I was thinking, this is Elkster, he should know lol just mess'n I'm just glad it's out now.

French, I can't take full credit though for the wrench being welded. The place I work there is a old fella that used to weld way back in the day and still does. When I said bolt he said I have a better idea (without really saying it) because he came back 20mins later with the wrench on it and the bolt out. And on top of that he said to keep it as a souviner, he was holding it with a thick leather glove so I didn't take it right away.

Love the pics. A very innovative way to get it out. Just wondering is it a craftsman wrench? And would would they exchange it if it is? JK, I wouldn't waste a good wrench on that.

it actually does look like a craftsman wrench...and looking on sears website it is.
"12 pt. standard combination wrench. Size 11/16 in.12 pt. standard combination wrench. Size 11/16 in."
hehe

i like the fact that he used the welder to heat it up to bend it!
smart move when the torch isnt readily available!

Teamford rocks. Car has been sitting for 2days, because I have it all apart and the ball-joint is toast on the passenger side. I opt to ordered up 2 new arms, the plus side was it's a 2bolt arm which is 48 vs the 4 bolt for 159. They should be here today. I keep saying I'm going to make videos, but slows the job down... I'm going to be dropping the rear subframe next, man that would be an awesome how-to.

don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Check your parts well when they arrive.
I think our last 3 orders with them have had to get returned. :bah:

don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Check your parts well when they arrive.
I think our last 3 orders with them have had to get returned. :bah:

HEY you better not jinx me! lol

Funny just as I posted looked what showed up, your lucky! j/k

HPIM0256.jpg

Last edited:
Back