• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dead engine knocking noise

andreslobo

Hard-core CEG'er
I went and looked at a 98 4cyl auto with a dead engine. It failed on the road and her mechanic says it needs a new engine. I looked at it and the cam belt is whole and spinning the cams. When the engine is turned over there is a metallic knocking sound and it will not start, but does turn over freely.

Any ideas on wot could be the problem?

yeah, i have an idea, unless you have another engine, avoid that car!

but, if you're dead set, can you tell where the knocking sound it coming from? there could be many other things keeping it from starting, check the spark and that it gets fuel. i had a similar problem in my mercury tracer, and that knocking sound was actually a valve guide that broke and fell into the cylinder, but prevented it from starting because it wouldn't turn over with it in the way, but you say that isn't the problem. so, could you be more descriptive?

nope

nope

No I can't be much more descriptive, was looking at the car to see if it was a simple shredded cam belt, other than a light metallic knocking sound when turning the motor over and that appears to have little to no compression.

But I can get a good trans motor cheap, so how difficult is it to just install a new motor, I have other uses for the trans.

check if it's getting gas by pulling the hose off the fuel filter (a cylindrical piece near the fire wall with hoses coming out each end) and that it's getting a spark. to check for a spark, i usually will remove a spark plug wire and insert a long screw driver in the wire, and rest it on the valve cover, or just a very small distance above it. then, have someone crank the motor, and you should see a spark jump. if either of these aren't working, that's why the car won't start. otherwise, i doubt it's even turning over at all. maybe you think it is, but that metallic knocking is actually the engine getting stuck somewhere, and though it may sound like it's turning over, it actually keeps getting knocked back.

swapping an engine depends on how your mechanical ability and tools are. you'll need an engine hoist. you'll need to raise the engine and transmission, remove them from the car, d/c the tranny, and connect your new engine, then return to car. if you check out the autozone online guide, you can get a good idea of what it takes. if you don't have a lot of experience working on cars, i definitely wouldn't recommend it. there are just way too many things to screw up and too many places to get stuck.

Hmm

Hmm

Can't remove just the engine from the 98? I thought so, but one never knows. In that case I'll just take and slide in the whole trans engine assembly from the 99 as the trans in the 98 is an unknown, change the intake due to different fuel supply systems between 98 and 99 and give it a go.

Possible noise cause

Possible noise cause

Someone on CEG had the flywheel break where it attaches to the engine and the crank sensor is attached to the flywheel on Zetecs as far as I know. Also timing can slip without belt breaking.

i've pulled and swapped a couple engines, both ford and mercury, both with same basic engine setup style. one, i d/c'd the engine from the tranny. couldn't get the motor out and away from the tranny. any expert will tell you to take them both out together, then disconnect.

Back