• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looks SO much better

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
I decided to see what I can do with my super hazed headlights. As many people know the Passenger side headlight was way worse then the drive side, as the drive side one had been replaced and the passenger side was original.

First was 500 grit, while I did that I could watch the crap on the passenger side headlight turn the water yellow (EWWWW). Then I cleaned it up with 1000 grit, then used a headlight restorer compound I purchased at Autozone, then to make it clear I finnished it off with Meguiar's plastic X. Looks a million times better, im very happy with the results.

Before:
DSC00040Large.jpg

After:
DSC00051.jpg

yes yes, the grille looks aweful, I know. I have a newer one coming soon enough, that one is all sorts of ****ed up.

Last edited:
Before i got new headlights, and after i wet-sanded the old hazy ones, id always wipe some tire shine on them. You'd be amazed at how good they looked.

looking good! what are you plans for the new grill? still black or will it be body color?

Before i got new headlights, and after i wet-sanded the old hazy ones, id always wipe some tire shine on them. You'd be amazed at how good they looked.

looking good! what are you plans for the new grill? still black or will it be body color?

Plans are just a stock SE grille, I picked one up cheap I just have to go get it.

But eventually im going to an SVT grille and painting the chrome ring body color.

DSC00348Large.jpg

Heres a better pic of the hazing, the passenger side was the one that looked like absolute ****.

Last edited:
I dont know what to compare it to, but good job.

At the same time I dont understand why people try and salvage hazed headlights, even after wetsanding them they will never be PERFECTLY clear as brand new and you still see all the spider cracks. Yes $250.00 isnt exactly cheap, but for the long run spend the money and it will drasticly change the appearance of your car, imho!

I dont know what to compare it to, but good job.

At the same time I dont understand why people try and salvage hazed headlights, even after wetsanding them they will never be PERFECTLY clear as brand new and you still see all the spider cracks. Yes $250.00 isnt exactly cheap, but for the long run spend the money and it will drasticly change the appearance of your car, imho!

it also costs nearly nothing to restore a hazed headlight, and the point of restoring them is to make them look better then they were and increase light output.

Its for safety, and since it hardly costs anything Hazed Headlights<wetsanded headlights.

I dont have $250 to spare right now, I do however, have $20 and an hour to spare on cleaning the headlights. So I will for the time being.

Back