• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MSDS Y-pipe or Trubendz Y-Pipe

BriceRice

CEG'er
Whats the verdict? I'm going to have MSDS Headers and Trubendz exhaust, havent decided on the y-pipe yet. What are the differences if any? Also aluminized or stainless steel exhaust?

I'm bored so:

Trubendz is a better y pipe design and replaces your catalytic converter. If you use the MSDS y you'll still need either your stock cat, a hi flow cat, or a test pipe. I vote Trubendz Y with catalytic converter. Also the Trubendz y is aluminized where the MSDS is ceramic coated... Something to consider depending what kind of weather you drive your car in.

SS is obviously better as it will last longer and look better but costs more.

If you go tru-bendz y-pipe. You need a chigh flow cat.

Since you removed your stock manifold cats (pre-cats). You ahve your main cat left. If you remove that. You will have alot of rasp when you drive. So a high flow cat must be added.

What about the Trubendz y-pipe with no cat? Anyone have any sound clips with the cat-less res-less trubendz set up?

^^ It would sound like this: buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - zzzzzzzzzzzz

It would seriously be all rasp. You need at least a catalytic converter and or resonator. Preferably both in my opinion.

What about the Trubendz y-pipe with no cat? Anyone have any sound clips with the cat-less res-less trubendz set up?

goto trubendz.com and goto the audio/ vids. theres a cougar that says "off road y-pipe and flowmaster" i think. that would be your audio clip.

Y pipe yes... I'm not feeling the 3" non resonated cat back...

If it were me (my opinion) I'd get the borla Resonated kit http://www.trubendz.com/home.asp?pr...ontour_res&productid=12223125&pagetype=detail

You don't really have a need for 3" exhaust anyhow so basically it's just going to be noisy. Again this is just my opinion ;)

Y pipe yes... I'm not feeling the 3" non resonated cat back...

If it were me (my opinion) I'd get the borla Resonated kit http://www.trubendz.com/home.asp?pr...ontour_res&productid=12223125&pagetype=detail

You don't really have a need for 3" exhaust anyhow so basically it's just going to be noisy. Again this is just my opinion ;)

picture.jpg

I don't know if its just me but I think it looks pretty good with the 3'' exhaust, it doesnt effect the sound that much

Last edited:
I know this, but that still doesnt effect anything we have been talking about.

That exhaust you posted was 3 inch PIPING... that's overkill, 2.5" is plenty big enough. The tips on that kit were 3.5 inches wide, not 3 inches.

The link for the exhaust you posted is just going to be loud and wont benefit you in any way. Unless you want to go deaf sooner and enjoy headaches on long road trips. :shrug:

Again just my opinion. If you want it that loud then go for it :laugh:

I havent heard anything about 3'' being terribly louder than the 2.5''. I'll take your word for it I guess, I'll prolly end up geting the 2.5 no res since unless someone else has 3'' and can let me know about the level of sound; because I just want a lil louder than stock.

What happens if both the kits suck, but the 2 hybrided together is good?
I just want the 2.5 piping, but i don't want a resonator. And does anybody know if the kit comes with 2 mufflers in stock location or just 1 like the pic.
IMO just get the Y pipe and keep your stock rear section minus the REZ. You'll love it, those ford mufflers are kick ass.

I havent heard anything about 3'' being terribly louder than the 2.5''. I'll take your word for it I guess, I'll prolly end up geting the 2.5 no res since unless someone else has 3'' and can let me know about the level of sound; because I just want a lil louder than stock.

I don't think the 3" will be noticably louder, maybe a touch deeper tone. The bad thing about the 3" on a normally aspirated engine is that you may lose a little power because exhaust scavenging is less effective in the bigger pipe.

What happens if both the kits suck, but the 2 hybrided together is good?
I just want the 2.5 piping, but i don't want a resonator. And does anybody know if the kit comes with 2 mufflers in stock location or just 1 like the pic.
IMO just get the Y pipe and keep your stock rear section minus the REZ. You'll love it, those ford mufflers are kick ass.

kits come as pictured. trubendz puts the muffler in the stock resonator location

I put the MSDS headers on from nautilus perfomance and a truebendz y-pipe with no cat, and have the stock exhaust and it sounds like shizit. It is so wraspy it's just rediculouse. I have heard the borlas and I would say, if your going to spend the coin on a good exhaust you might as well just pony up and buy the borla, can't beat that borla sound it's great. My .02

I have headers from NPG, trubendz Y-pipe w/ high flow cat, magnaflow 4x9 (expensive $97 dollar one from Advanced Autoparts) for resonator and stock rest of the pipes and it souds pretty good...

I just switched the y-pipe because I had a stock one with a hollowed out cat.... I was sick of hearing the bee's nest.. so I bought a Trubendz...

Only had a problem with the alightment with the bolt that is in the center of the y (mounts on the oil pan area). just a few wacks with a hammer + some hole clearancing and I was good to go.

Back