• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

won't start, and poor compression

EnvoyXL

New CEG'er
My 98 still wont start. I had it blow a radiator hose a couple months back and just got around to checking it out. The car ran fine before the hose blew. I would guess I drove about 5 miles before I realized the hose blew. I wasn't driving so I dont know if the temp was in the red or not. But anyways, I pulled my spark plugs today and the were pretty dirty. I decided to check the compression because it sounded weak when I was cranking it. Here is what I got.

Cyl 1= 120, Cyl 2= 60, Cyl 3= 30, Cyl 4= 90

adding a bit of oil to the cylinders did raise the values on 2 and 3 to about 65

Should I throw this car away and suck it up to being unfortunately lost, or is it going to be worth fixing? If it is worth fixing, where should I go from here and about how much time and money will it cost me?

rut roe... someone correct me if im wrong, but that sounds awefully like a blown headgasket

Should I throw this car away and suck it up to being unfortunately lost, or is it going to be worth fixing? If it is worth fixing, where should I go from here and about how much time and money will it cost me?

Originally posted on 8-05-06

Originally posted by EnvoyXL:​

..All I want to know is...Will it be worth it to go and get it, or is it going to cost me too much to fix it?​

If you are seeking opinions, then I suggest you start a new thread in Common Interest or General and put a poll in it for CEGers to vote. You will probably get more traffic (opinions) there.

Last edited:
STFU Tony

STFU Tony

So is a head gasket easy to fix? What is involved with it? Is it expensive? How can I further troubleshoot this problem?

I'd suggest checking your timing belt before jumping into a head gasket diagnosis.

Stripped belt teeth will foul your valve timing and cause faulty compression readings.

Steve

I'd suggest checking your timing belt before jumping into a head gasket diagnosis.

Stripped belt teeth will foul your valve timing and cause faulty compression readings.

Steve

Good call steve.

Once that timing belt & timing check is done, if you still have bad compression in more than one cylinder, you might be dealing with a head gasket, or more likely an engine meltdown & it'll be time for a rebuild or replacement. 5 miles is an aufully long way to go with little/no coolant.

If the problem is in only one cylinder, a head gasket is the most likely culprit.

Just got his PM from EnvoyXL

Just got his PM from EnvoyXL

Just got his PM from EnvoyXL.

EnvoyXL said:
Shut the **** up. Stay out of my posts

EnvoyXL,

Note that you are posting on the internet. And if you do, the whole world can post on the thread.

Just got his PM from EnvoyXL.

EnvoyXL,

Note that you are posting on the internet. And if you do, the whole world can post on the thread.

I am so sorry, I didn't realise you were gonna be such a cry baby about it. I have asked you on several occasions to stay out of my posts and you keep butting in.

If there are any other comments that need to be made about each other, then take it off the forums.

Grab your AIM names and go at it. That's about enough of it in my forum, though.

Back