• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Here we go again...

zorrex

Enjoys the Abuse
All righty, I posted about this before, but I didn't get a definite answer.

My car is not responsive to the throttle. When the engine is cold, and I start it up, put it in drive (does it in park, too, but not as bad), and step on the gas really hard, the RPM's will drop to the point where it wants to stall, but I haven't tried to actually stall it. It WON'T stall in park. I tried flooring it and after a hesitation and drop in RPM's, it revved up, though unwillingly. In addition, in what I feel is a related matter, my car doesn't like to accelerate sometimes. If I am at a stop light/sign, and I reaaaalllyyy want to get going quickly, and I push the throttle in pretty hard, my car just bogs and stays in low RPM's, and they climb gradually. However, sometimes (usually when I'm pulling out of a street or something, performing a turn, rarely when pulling away going straight) it WILL respond to the throttle and pick up the RPM's very quickly and accelerate quickly (for a Zetec that is :crazy:). So I was wondering what the culprit could be? I just recently had my fuel filter changed, no CEL (besides a P0133 that is on and off because of my massive exhaust leak...broken flex pipe), spark plugs look clean and dry, throttle body is clean, and the problem is independent of how fresh my oil is. Sorry for the long explanation :)

a broken flex pipe isnt going to give you a p0133. change the upstream O2 sensor and go from there. i suspect that its bogging because the O2 sensor isnt swithcing fast enough.

Oh really? I was under the impression that this code (which has been flashing on and off for a few weeks now) COULD happen as a result of an exhaust leak. Crap.

Edit: I tried searching but to no avail. Where is this O2 sensor located?

Last edited:
it threads into the exhaust manifold. you may have to remove the heatshield to get a good look at it.

edit: a p0133 is an upstream O2 slow switching code.

it threads into the exhaust manifold. you may have to remove the heatshield to get a good look at it.

edit: a p0133 is an upstream O2 slow switching code.

yup, that would be your bogging issue right there.

Exhaust leaks have nothing to do with CEL's unless they are before O2 sensors. Last I checked the flexpipe is WAY after any o2 sensors.

yup, that would be your bogging issue right there.

Exhaust leaks have nothing to do with CEL's unless they are before O2 sensors. Last I checked the flexpipe is WAY after any o2 sensors.

Ohhhh gotcha! :laugh:

Now I feel so dumb! I'm gonna pick up a new one and drop it in within the next couple of days. Hopefully my heat shield comes off ok. Last time it was taken off one of the bolts going into the manifold broke, lol :p

I've had the exact problem, until I cleaned the MAF sensor. I have a major blow-by on my contour, and the oil and some plastic material was stuck to the heated wires. After cleaning, my car ran like gold.

If you decide to clean the MAF sensor, make sure you do <u>not</u> physically touch the wires. Just gently spray them with electrical cleaner, with the straw off, just for safety reasons.

Back