• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Timing chain loose...idler making a sound?

CSVT STL

New CEG'er
Does this sound familiar to any CEGers? I took my SVT into the shop today because it started to make a noise. The guy there called me and told me that there was something wrong with the timing chain inside the motor. The motor chatters and makes a weird pinging sound when it is idle. Then he told me that he couldnt fix it, you have to pull the motor and replace the timing chain etc., and it's very expensive to do. Is this true? Is this an expensive fix or something that I can do on my own?

Just so you know I'm working on the same thing right now.. and yes it is expensive to have done just simply because of the labor involved with pulling the motor. I'm going to embark on the journey very soon, and will let you know how it goes.

You don't actually have to pull the motor to do it, it's possible to remove the timing cover with it in the car.... Just not easy :crazy:

how do you remove the cover? my chain keeps snapping or getting shreadded, and i'm not going to spend the 400$ to have them do it again.

Snapping or shreaded? LOL! You'd laugh too if you've seen a timing chain. Very stout and thick. It wasn't fixed the first time if the issue crops up again. The guides are plastic and metal. The plastic can break but it's very rare. It's also rare for a 98-00 Duratec to have an issue. The 95's had an issue and Ford revised the tensioners. I have some SVT guides and tensioners if anyone wants them. 160k on them but they look great. Motor they came off of spun a bearing. Better make sure it's a chain and not a tensioner pulley or bad a/c compressor.

Back