• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cold Air Intakes...

id love to do something like that where the filter is near the wheel but id be afraid to suck up water from the roads or the filter to start corroding :(

theres also the viper induction kits that are enclosed to stop heatsoak, dont know if yall have them in the usa but they come up sometimes in the ebay site, a bit pricey though...

Weapon-R

Weapon-R

I have the weapon-r dragon intake and I am happy with it. I have a Bomz kit on my 99 cougar and it works good too. The dragon sounds good and we have had noticable pick up in horsepower. I purchased mine off ebay for like $60 vs. $140+ directly thru weapon R. I think it is all a matter of personal preference.

a thought

a thought

If your going with Weapon R one thing to consider if your purchasing the foam filter is that it will evetually need to be replaced. It will break down.

I myself purchased a Injen intake IS5000BLK. I was going to go with the AEM or K&N though decided on the Injen due to its black color and Dyno performance chart. All above are emissions legal but i could only truely find performance information on four brands Injen, BAT, AEM and K&N. Had the K&N been less expensive(226.95) my choice would have been the model FIPK. The only reason i even considered it was because its made of plastic and comes built with a heat shield( also plastic).

Metal attracts heat. I figured with so many,myself included - building heat shields made of semiconducting material i figure it may have been worth the investment. Though K&N never gave precise numbers on difference in heat measurement bewteen metal and plastic energy absorption. Comon sense tells you the plastic will stay cooler but HOW much cooler and at nearly 90$ more I chose Injen 13 bucks more than the AEM for the color i wanted.

Last edited:
I don't have personal experience with the weapon R, but I've heard that its the only kit where the filter breaks down. Buy a bomz kit and give it k&n or aem

If your going with Weapon R one thing to consider if your purchasing the foam filter is that it will evetually need to be replaced. It will break down.

I myself purchased a Injen intake IS5000BLK. I was going to go with the AEM or K&N though decided on the Injen due to its black color and Dyno performance chart. All above are emissions legal but i could only truely find performance information on four brands Injen, BAT, AEM and K&N. Had the K&N been less expensive(226.95) my choice would have been the model FIPK. The only reason i even considered it was because its made of plastic and comes built with a heat shield( also plastic).

Metal attracts heat. I figured with so many,myself included - building heat shields made of semiconducting material i figure it may have been worth the investment. Though K&N never gave precise numbers on difference in heat measurement bewteen metal and plastic energy absorption. Comon sense tells you the plastic will stay cooler but HOW much cooler and at nearly 90$ more I chose Injen 13 bucks more than the AEM for the color i wanted.

weird, it has a million mile warranty on the filter:shrug: - at least the secret weapon filter does... and its dual pipe design is phenomanal! liek i said, pricey, but definetly a difference!

Last edited:
weird, it has a million mile warranty on the filter:shrug: - at least the secret weapon filter does...

I can swear that this pet rock I have won't stop being a rock for a million years, but it doesn't mean anything regarding performance.

You are right.. the filter will still be a filter and won't tear in half for a million miles (they say), but the filtering ability of the foam itself is nothing to smile about, personally) they require a ton of cleaning.

I can swear that this pet rock I have won't stop being a rock for a million years, but it doesn't mean anything regarding performance.

You are right.. the filter will still be a filter and won't tear in half for a million miles (they say), but the filtering ability of the foam itself is nothing to smile about, personally) they require a ton of cleaning.

i have had mine for about a year or so, and clean it once a month, which is alot, but it is never really dirty when i wash it... and there are some pros, they filter better then a k&n type filter, and allow more air! It makes sense to me:shrug:

ALSO: http://weapon-r.com/english/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=286&products_id=5600

Straight from weapon-r:

The Secret Weapon Air Filter is an result of countless hours of testing and tuning of air intake velocity, Air mass and Airspeed. The Result, an Air filter that performs better than any other air filters available in the market today Secret Weapon Air Filter provides maximum airflow, with the protection of high quality dense Poly Urethane Foam. Many studies have shown Flow rates of up to 80% more Air and Better Dirt Filtration with Foam Filter than the conventional cotton filter. The Secret Weapon Air Filter’s main feature is an CAD Designed and Flow benched Tested Velocity Stack, which greatly increases airflow ,airspeed and air mass into the engine, therefore increasing engine performance. Another one of the Secret Weapon Air Filter’s great features are the capability to be disassembled to be cleaned and then re-assembled after cleanings or to change the color of the foam filtering element.

The Filtering element of the Secret Weapon Air Filter uses Open Cell Technology, which traps dirt particles entering your engine. Dirt Particles in your engine means lower performance, lower gas mileage, and engine wear.
The EPA has estimated that a dirty filter can cause a 10% decrease in fuel efficiency. Because performance gauze and paper filters are only 1/16 of an inch thick, the minute you start driving they get dirty, start to clog and restrict air flow causing a loss in performance. The Weapon*R Air Filters do not clog because our foam filtering element is 16 times thicker than performance gauze or paper. Our Open Cell Technology foam allows air to flow around the captured dirt. Unlike other filters, Weapon*R Air Filters provides great airflow even when it gets dirty.

Last edited:
i know its not a tour but this system works on my cougar

its a AEM short ram, with the GMK High Performance CAI extension

but i got to whore this lol
cf uberness
img7256ad2.jpg

img3266ua0.jpg

img3265vt3.jpg

if your looking to go cheap yet effective, the best thing IMO is to just buy the larger aluminum intake pipe and put a k&n filter in the stock funnel. it sounds good and gives a small but noticable power increase, better gas mileage by 1 or 2, and better throttle response.

Back