• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interior help

Ok i finally got the pictures uploaded this morning so here is a picture of just the bulb and how the tails need to be. you can compare it to the picture i posted earlier.
8-31-2007012.jpg

Gauge%20lighting%20how-to

Im going to be making a full how-to sometime today or tomorrow hopefully.

why does it keep removing the image tags :mad:

Last edited:
nice..

that pic makes more sense now..

BTW -- that thing looks super beefy! after the tails are bent up it just plugs straight in like normal?

yup you just plug it into the socket lke normal and then put the socket back in the cluster. turn on the lights and see if it turns on. if it doesnt then rotate the socket 180 degrees.

Partsexpress.com has blue blub covers for the clock light. Stock it has a green one on it so just change it to red, blue, yellow which ever color you want. As I recall it was a size .2.

AF

Last edited:
yes they are a VERY wide angle.

this is what they look like:
24_ss_b_wm.jpg

they are about the 6th bulb down on this page. you do have to take the "tails" and make it so that there is only one on each side of the base. otherwise you get contact on both "tails" on both sides.

ALso you guys might want to check E-Bay for these LED's. The guy who runs autolumination also sells them on e-bay. I did not know this till after I bought some from him on the website for the full price. Here is his E-Bay store. His Prices are a little cheaper on E-Bay.

http://stores.ebay.com/superlumination

I'd appreciate any sort of pic so I know what to wrap and how...

The lame stock green lighting is super dim... if your driving at dark you can barely see crap... (unless there are several lights burned out in 2 out of the 3 SVT's I own?)

I wonder what the white ones would look like as I dont care about changing the color as much as just being able to see decently.

thanks in advance. :)
Did you check the dimmer switch? It affects the dashboard lighting at night.

(I assume you know this, but just in case..)

Im looking to order a couple of these for the Gauge Cluster... Just dont know if they will fit into my 99 CSVT cluster?

Does anyone have experience with the installation into an SVT or if the gauge cluster bulbs are the same?

- amyn

Last edited:
Gage clusters are all basically the same from 96 on, as far as design, with some variations like SVT white faces, tach / no tach, and some minor changes to the circuits on some years. Bulbs across the production run are the same all years.

AF

The lame stock green lighting is super dim... if your driving at dark you can barely see crap... (unless there are several lights burned out in 2 out of the 3 SVT's I own?)

I wonder what the white ones would look like as I dont care about changing the color as much as just being able to see decently.

thanks in advance. :)

Standard incandescant bulbs will off-gas from the filament over time. This gets deposited on the inside of the glass turning it dark. Replace with new bulbs and you'll be amazed at the difference.

Safety suggestion: While you're at it, replace your tail light bulbs too!

okay.. i got the bulbs, got the gauges out, how did you get the stock bulbs out of the little twist and lock holders. i cant pull them out i tried prying with a screwdriver and pulling on them with pliers nothing seems to work.. ??:shrug:

okay.. i got the bulbs, got the gauges out, how did you get the stock bulbs out of the little twist and lock holders. i cant pull them out i tried prying with a screwdriver and pulling on them with pliers nothing seems to work.. ??:shrug:

There should be two metal tabs on the bottom along the outside. Push those and pull the entire connector assembly out leaving just the plastic, then solder as needed and replace. Or, you can smash the bulb, and take a sharp metal object and pry out the bulb. But then again, if you ever want those bulbs back, you can't find the exact size at an auto parts store...at least I wasn't able to.

you can always get them at a JY. In fact I'd get some of them, do the upgrade then install those....

Just my 2 cents,
AF
yeah they can be a real PITA. i did exactly what AF suggested, only i had an extra cluster laying around from when i upgraded to one with a tach. i found that some of them come right out and others wont. :shrug: so i went through and pulled the easy ones and then just used those.

So for an SVT or a regular Contique with a tach in the cluster, you would want to buy five of the #74 equivalents for the gauge cluster, and four of the #194 equivalents (two for the HVAC panel and two for the floorboard/kickplate lights, correct? This is what I gather.

Nooo #74 isn't quite big enough. It will work, but it juuuust isn't what you need. A #24 will work better :).

Kickass. I just ordered six #24 bulbs (one extra, just in case) and and four #194 bulbs from autolumination.com and paid extra for priority shipping. It was like $72 or so. I can't WAIT to go all-LED!

i bought them bulbs from autolumination 10 of them the other day , with the regular shipping and got them in 3 days did this mod last night , and turned out pretty well

i bought them bulbs from autolumination 10 of them the other day , with the regular shipping and got them in 3 days did this mod last night , and turned out pretty well
do you have any pics of how it turned out? specifically im looking for the HVAC panel since i did mine by soldering in LEDs and resistors.

Last edited:
Back