• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I just started my own detail op, any input guys?

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys,

Well I took a passion of mine, and used it to start a part-time mobile/home detailing business. To get to the point, it's something that I want to have on my resume. What I mean is that I'm a Commerce & Finance student, and this will appeal to the company's I apply for as it shows I have practical business owner experience. It shows that I can obtain and manage finances, do my own marketing, provide my own accounting services, and work on relationships with both suppliers and customers.

Anyways, I love doing the work, I've got all the supplies I need for now, although I could use a rotary buffer to compliment my DA polisher, but for now I think it's adequate.

I've 'leased' a nice garage space that fits 2 cars (my aunts garage) and I've got all my detailing supplies in order. The garage itself is equipped with very nice halogen tube lights, as well it's heated. I'm just in the process of running a watersource underground or even through the house to the garage for warm water during the colder months. I may just resort to waterless or hoseless washing in that case. I may actually put down some garage floor finish before I start using it, but I'll decide that at the end of the week.

I've designed a business card that's on it's way, and I have a website I'm going to finish off by the weekend. Do any of you have any input on what I can do? I'm live and breathe the autopia and autogeek boards just to stay a float.

Anyway, here's my card design, and I'm just working out my pricing.

BusinessCardDesign-print.jpg

For those interested, my product line will be primarily Poorboys detailing products, with Klasse All in One, and Klasse Sealant glaze available. I'm heading to NY in two weeks and I hope to pick up some Duragloss stuff, as well as maybe get myself some Menzerna polishes down the line.

Last edited:
Congrats..Good luck with the business..Ive just started my own down here in SW FL..Kinda slow at first but its picking up getting better all the time..

Congrats on taking the plunge, you've got a nice product line so far:cool: What do you charge to do a full detail on something like a CSVT ( a full detail, inside and out, engine bay, trunk and full treatment on the paint-clay, AIO, SG and SG again or caranuba) I'm only asking to see if my price is in line with yours as I detail too, but its on the side and not completely "legit", you know what I mean:confused:

that's a full day detail, that's approximately 3 hours of your time (assuming you're removing swirls).

Now, basically, for a full detail inside and outside, I think anywhere between $175 - $275 is adequate. I give a range depending on how dirty the car is already. If they want swirl removal, lean more towards the higher $200s. If the paint is in great condition, but full detail around $175 - $200.

Having that said, I've got a Lincoln Town Car booked for this Saturday. I'm going to charge him $175 because of referral discount so to say.

Sounds like you've got a plan for sure. I've been doing this on the side since 2001, and although I don't use a wheel (yet) I've gotten good results, but I must say that most of the cars are newer and don't really need a wheel. Everyone has been happy so far, so I must be doing something right. Your price of $175-200 is right on par for what I charge, but I'm in the U.S. so you've got the exchange rate:laugh: In my "Ultimate detail" I do the inside and out, engine bay, trunk, wheelwells, tires/wheels, wax the glass and for the paint, well, I clay, AIO, SG, wait 12 hours and apply another coat of SG or caranuba. I also offer my customer who goes this route a FREE car wash, vacuum and spray waxing for taking the plunge with the "Ultimate" package, something you might wanna think about as people love freebies:cool:

I would highly recommend trying to buy your products in bulk in order to keep costs at a minimum. I have recently started using the Detailer line of products from Meguiar's. They all come in gallon jugs and you just can't beat the price/oz. I don't charge quite as much as what you have listed, but I think my prices are too low as it is (I just do detailing on the side to pay for my CSVT detailing and other goodies). Good luck and I hope you get a strong customer base to carry you through the winter months!

I would highly recommend trying to buy your products in bulk in order to keep costs at a minimum. I have recently started using the Detailer line of products from Meguiar's. They all come in gallon jugs and you just can't beat the price/oz. I don't charge quite as much as what you have listed, but I think my prices are too low as it is (I just do detailing on the side to pay for my CSVT detailing and other goodies). Good luck and I hope you get a strong customer base to carry you through the winter months!

You're not supposed to under cut yourself by doing low prices. You'll go out of business quickly, and you'll narrowly cover costs. When it comes down to it you'll be paying ourself between 8 - 12 an hour which isn't that great.

You're not supposed to under cut yourself by doing low prices. You'll go out of business quickly, and you'll narrowly cover costs. When it comes down to it you'll be paying ourself between 8 - 12 an hour which isn't that great.

Your right and honestly, when you think about it, it takes me about 6-7 hours total time to do a car the size of the CSVT with the full detail and 4 step process, so that comes out to $29.00 dollars on hour on the 7 hour side. I will say that I go the quarter carwash to do the engine bay though, that crap is going down their trap, not on my driveway and grass:cool: Between m4gician, Dr.Cross, Goonz, GTO Pete and myself we'd have the best detailing center in the U.S.....BAR NONE;)

ive been thinking of doing this during the summer when im off from school.

i live near a huge auto auction and would like to get some business either from them or thier buyers or sellers. also private owners also.

also how did you guys get the word out? cause i dont think i could get anywhere near the same prices as you guys have.

guess i gotta do some more research before i try and go and do this as my summer job.

Yamaha, I've been doing it as a side job little private endevour for about 18 months now. I never really planned on doing anything like this cause I just never thought I'd get any customers worth paying the money for a quality detail. (Most people just don't understand what goes into it, or else they'd be detailing it themselves most likely.) However, a friend of mine who runs a sort of used car lot that sells only company leased vehicles. He came to me and asked if I'd be interested in doing some cars to help him out and I gave it a shot. Initially it didn't pay alot, but I got alot of experience under my belt which led to alot more higher end cars with people willing to comfortably pay the $250 range detail.

Just do your research, alot of good forums out there... and gain experience. Although I do agree with michigan, but do them cheap in the beginning, and let a good job speak for itself. Tough part is to know when to take the step to the higher pricing. Least that's my opinion, worked for me :shrug:

Also, maybe think about offering two different levels of a "FULL" detail. I have the people with Mercedes and Lexus's, etc... that want top quality products. Then you have others who want a good job, but don't feel the need to use the better materials. It's really sped up the process, and helps get alot more cars in and out, and more money in my pocket.

IMO getting customers is word of mouth, number one and having a good example of your work, like your own car:idea: I'm not bragging here, but I keep my car in perfect condition, even in the winter, right down to cleaning inside the wheels and wheelwells (well not my current car, its got carpeted wheelwells:rolleyes: ) Then I go onto to tell them that I wax my car once a week and depending on what time of the year it is, that sounds nutz to most people, which really shows them how much your into cleaning cars...done deal! Its all about selling yourself and letting them know their car is in good hands.

I typically spend 9-12 people hours on a typical detail (Contour/Outback/small SUV). That includes interior and exterior. I'm a perfectionist, which is a good thing for detailing, but it's also a bad thing because I'll spend an extra 1-2 hours on a car making sure it's "perfect" before I deliver it. I've increased my prices slightly over the years, but I've found it difficult to increase it much more. Most people in VT don't really care if their car is swirl free, they just want the salt sucked out of their carpets from the 7-8 months of winter driving.:rolleyes:

IMO getting customers is word of mouth, number one and having a good example of your work, like your own car:idea:... ...Its all about selling yourself and letting them know their car is in good hands.

Couldn't agree more. Most people, a matter of fact like 90% these past 4 months, are all word of mouth (since I don't have any real sort of advertising). Mainly people calling me or other customers contacting me about their friends car etc...

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Most people, a matter of fact like 90% these past 4 months, are all word of mouth (since I don't have any real sort of advertising). Mainly people calling me or other customers contacting me about their friends car etc...

I actually purchased an ad in the local paper last year, and I got one call! The person thought my price was too high, so they never called back. 80% of my details are returning customers and the other 20% are friends/cowokers.

A lot of good points made by some of the part-time detailers on CEG.

1. Use products that are available in bulk - period
2. Word of mouth and repeat business is crucial to your success
3. Have business cards and give one or two to each customer
4. Learn to use products based on their needs, not your desires. As a detailer you want to provide the best every time, but that's not realistic. Many customers are just looking for a basic wash & wax. They don't need a full detail - clay/cleaner/polish/sealant/etc. A good all-in-one wax will save you time and money, and the customer gets what they want.
5. Find products that save you time. For example, a leather cleaner & conditioner in one saves you the time of having to do a clean and then another follow through with a conditioner.
6. Having a "menu" with prices and package prices really makes your life easier
7. Don't forget to upcharge for larger vehicles like mini-vans, Expeditions, etc. and drop your price a bit for smaller vehicles like Miatas and the like.

Excluding the typical stuff, things in my detailing arsenal I can't do without:
- portable steam cleaner
- porter cable
- portable vacuum cleaner
- extension cord
- all-in-one wax
- woolite
- newspaper
- magic eraser

Your rates are outrageous compared to mine. I wish the market could bear those kinds of prices around here. :cry:

yea i get people asking me to do there car all the time. i have only done one persons van. my rates are kind of pricey. wash and wax only on that car for $100. i had to remove alot of sap. but it was a big chevy express van.

Last edited:
IMO getting customers is word of mouth, number one and having a good example of your work, like your own car:idea: selling yourself and letting them know their car is in good handsI'm not bragging here, but I keep my car in perfect condition

exactly!

now I dont have a pro pro business, but word of my work got out pretty quickly. My prime example being my neighbors Z06. He auto-x's almost every weekend, and each time he goes with the shiniest car there. People ask him what the hell he does to it, he hands them my business card and the next day I get an e-mail. My SVT really never had that black paint as I would of liked, but ever since I got the g-coupe, my customers have their doubts at first but when they see my G, they are relaxed and in the end, a happy customer who always return to me. So keeping your car tip-top at all times is key as well. Towards the end of my SVT ownership, I stopped caring sadly.

Having a successful detailing business, as Rodger already said, has a lot to do with establishing your name and connections. I got REALLY lucky and used the Z06 as my advertisement, it has earned me a pretty decent rep and now usually I do high end cars like M3s, M5s, M6;s, 911-Turbos, Caymans, Benzs, Lexus'. Its kinda spoiled me, but I charge less, I have happy customers, and in the end I work on beautiful cars that really dont require THAT much cleaning since they are almost brand new. I do not plan on making this a full-time business however.

Zaino products FTW

Last edited:
Back