• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Syncros!!!!

The tendency toward 3rd gear grind is a natural feature of this transmission. Installing the currently available synchro parts from Ford you may never be happy or not happy for long. If you can find the three part blocker rings you will be happier. As far as I know, Terry is the only one that has these. When he heard they were being discontinued, he bought up all of Ford's inventory.

That said, before you spend the money and effort on a trans overhaul, try a fluid change. My tendency toward 3rd gear grind completely went away, over time, after installing Ford Honey fluid. I also used 2 oz of Ford Friction Modifier since at the time I made the change it was preferred. Since then many have reported that the Friction Modifier is not needed.

One way to find out.... CONTACT HIM!

Thats what I am talking about. Theres lots of those places around. Don't go believing the mtx-75 is some voodo trans. Its not at all.

Yeah - having never torn apart a transmission before - these things are actually very simple inside - nothing to be afraid of - hell, the differential is the first thing you see when you split it open - making for an easier fix.

I have a used set of the 3 piece 3rd gear syncro and the focus 3.82 final drive. The 3.82 is great for the v6 guys that want to stay in boost longer. I did the syncros on my tranny, if you have a friend at a shop with some knowledge on how to use a press your set. It will take time but if you have a manual you will be fine if you are careful. Take pictures.

Ok, so i contaced him and i guess he wont sell parts alone.:shrug: But can someone please explain more about the 3 piece syncros and why are they better? If they are no longer available from Ford and Terry wont sell them.. Is there any aftermarket ones? Where?

Thanks guys.

Syncros

Syncros

I am in the middle of this. I ordered the new style 3rd gear with new syncro block and syncros. It seemed like the old style i had in there had way too much play (really worn), i cant really see why the 3 piece is better, maybe because it would take longer to wear out 3 parts?? i dont know. I have read that the reason Ford went the new route is so that they could simplify the design and cut back on parts.

I havent felt like this is an extremely difficult job as long as you have the tools. The most important thing is having access to a press, so that you can remove 5th gear.

if you have questions let me know, i can probably shoot some pics before i assemble everything this weekend.

crystian
2000 se

I am in the middle of this. I ordered the new style 3rd gear with new syncro block and syncros. It seemed like the old style i had in there had way too much play (really worn), i cant really see why the 3 piece is better, maybe because it would take longer to wear out 3 parts?? i dont know. I have read that the reason Ford went the new route is so that they could simplify the design and cut back on parts.

I havent felt like this is an extremely difficult job as long as you have the tools. The most important thing is having access to a press, so that you can remove 5th gear.

if you have questions let me know, i can probably shoot some pics before i assemble everything this weekend.

crystian
2000 se

Pics are ALWAYS good on this site. :)

Back