• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Big oil leak! ahhh out the exhaust....

S2Knott

Hard-core CEG'er
so im putting upwards of 1/2 a quart + in a week.... no leaks to the ground and nothings wet.

the exhaust is smokey, and the tips are GUNKED! so its definetly going through the exhaust, so what would cause this?

bad rings? head gasket maybe? greg mentioned a few things, and im trying to get a compression test done today but the mechanic right near my house said he didnt have time today so probably tommorow.

anyways, shes running fine except for that. and having the tips get dirty every day.

i cleaned them and the cloth was cover in a horrible concocktion of unburned fuel and oil.... eeeww! (no cats, untuned rich 3L)

yeah untuned 3L = :nonono: Unless you're driving it to a shop to get tuned.

No cats also makes the situation worse.

Oil enter the cyclinder in only a few ways: Extreme blow by on a pcv valve (old chevy trick! lol) Bad pisition rings, or bad head gasket.

I told him to check the intake and Pcv system for oil, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't done that yet...

The Block has less than 22,000 miles on it... and it came from a perfectly running 01 Escape to a Cougar (for only 5K miles), and now to his SVT Contour...

I torqued down the Head gaskets to Specs, but maybe there is something faulty with them (?)

My guess is because its untuned (like previously mentioned), and its running really rich, there is a lot of oil being consumed...

Really, Bob, you need to get a tune very soon... and you NEED to inspect every part of the engine bay and SEARCH for Oil, not just "look" for it.

Good Luck.

had a compression test done and it all good, the mechanic suggests im getting blowby around the rings.

the compression test was good and he also said that it isnt the head gasket, so ill get a tune soon and a high flow cat and then see what happens.

im going to try some engine restore and or seafoam this weekend. but the mechanic said nothing is in danger for right now unless the oil level gets low.

had a compression test done and it all good, the mechanic suggests im getting blowby around the rings.

the compression test was good and he also said that it isnt the head gasket, so ill get a tune soon and a high flow cat and then see what happens.

im going to try some engine restore and or seafoam this weekend. but the mechanic said nothing is in danger for right now unless the oil level gets low.

Try seafoam, but i wouldn't bother with Engine restore! 22K on the motor doesn't need something like that... Just save the money and get the TUNE!!!

i start at Clair Acura sometime early next week, then ive got 4 weeks till i get a check..... but my check will be about $650 so ill get the tune within the next 1+ month.

43k on my untuned 3L. Never burns a drop of oil.

People need to drop this "you NEED to be tuned" crap. :nonono:

Each car is different... s2Knott's SVT is VERY rich for whatever reason, and really should be tuned!

I know your SVT is running great Tony (CSVT1214) and brapple and I discuss it all the time, so we know it doesn't HAVE to be tuned... but for some reason, this kid's SVT really is running very rich, and must be sucking up oil because of it, or something...

MAYBE its because he drives over 100MPH on a regular basis ??? I think so.

Each car is different... s2Knott's SVT is VERY rich for whatever reason, and really should be tuned!

When I went to get my car tuned, it bottomed out the A/F gauge non-stop. They couldn't get my Returnless 2000 PCM to tune, so I've been driving it like that ever since... 26mpg too!
Yes, yours is doing fine and I'm glad for you. Some others are not and as aircougar posted, "each car is different".

My regular Duratec is running fine now. It does not mean everybody else whose Duratecs are not running fine "have issues in their head" rather than issues with their Duratecs.

well maybe i drive more spirited than other but over 100mph on a regular basis is an exaggeration. i tend to drive fast on the highway, and when do i take the highway... about once a month to drive home for a weekend.. thats it.

another thing thats weird, lots of white smoke today at idle, and i ahd a buddy rev it and it was like a damn water cannon, way to much water shooting out the pipes.

Back