• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Water in tires

Redstar

CEG'er
I recently filled up my tires at a gas station, and discovered too late that there was water in the lines. I willing to bet that some got in my tires. Could this damage anything?

Welcome :) . There probably is too little water in the tires to do any harm. If you hear water sloshing and you are concerned, release all the air after driving for a while, then pump it up again at aother pump (or buy one of those $25 12 volt pumps which attach to the cigar lighters).

I wouldn't worry to much about it, either. With the high heat that tires experience, that water probably won't last too long. The tires don't always have a perfect seal on the wheel, as we know, so some of your moisture may make it out that way. Changing the air out is an easy, good suggestion if you're concerned.

Tony -- this would be a good application for the o'clock test. If you can hear water sloshing, there's water in there. :cool:

unless their tie rod and bearings are in good shape, in which case the o-clock test wouldn't prove useful at all. :)

consider it an automatic balancing system...once the tire start spinning the water might end up in the most unbalance part of the tire..kinda like that powder balancing stuff

consider it an automatic balancing system...once the tire start spinning the water might end up in the most unbalance part of the tire..kinda like that powder balancing stuff

yes, i also would like to use the cocaine in a tire method. from what i've heard the powder balancing is mainly designed for the use of big ass tires for off roading and such.

Back