• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front wheel spindles

SVTforme

CEG'er
Just wondering if anyone knows the best place to find front spindles for a Contour new. I am guessing it is not a common replacement item - so likely the dealer will be one of the few places.

I had a bad bearing failure last year and I think it must have removed material from spindle when it failed, as I can feel the bearings going out again already. I noticed the spindle pressed in much easier than usual last time, so this is what I suspect (unless I just got a batch of bad bearings).

If anyone has used ones that are in good shape - by all means let me know.

Just wondering if anyone knows the best place to find front spindles for a Contour new. I am guessing it is not a common replacement item - so likely the dealer will be one of the few places.

I had a bad bearing failure last year and I think it must have removed material from spindle when it failed, as I can feel the bearings going out again already. I noticed the spindle pressed in much easier than usual last time, so this is what I suspect (unless I just got a batch of bad bearings).

If anyone has used ones that are in good shape - by all means let me know.

Just replaced mine...picked up @local junk yard for $50.00...new they are $200.00...they're the same as any model contour (SE,SVT)

Craig: I have spares....

Also, did you do the work yourself? I had the dealer do mine the first time and the tech f'd up somehow (think he didn't seat the hub completely on the bearing race), the hub was scored and I had to trash it. I made sure I did it right myself, this time. I wondered what was up when 1 hub came out very easy and the other took something like 8 tons of force on the press.

Last edited:
Back