• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IMRC troubles

Webby092

New CEG'er
Hey everyone,
I have teh P1518 code with my car. I revved the motor to 4k, and did not see any movement on the cables from the box. I assume i need a new IMRC box? If i do, where is the best place to get one? I felt the backside of the throttle blade, and it was covered in a black goo. I assume the secondary butterflies are the same way. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,

Thanks, i ordered the transistors and I am going to attempt this myself. Which transistor will it be on the circuit board?

Mine fails at times when its reallllly hott outside, I dont have the cover on unless I am at a show anymore to try and prevent it from completely failing.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...9131&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

This will have all the info you need, you can't miss it. Also I have a p1518 and the transistor was not the solution for me so don't be too surprised if it doesn't fix your problem.

Yea, i am just hoping i can fix it cheap hehe. If not, no money lost.

Mine fails at times when its reallllly hott outside, I dont have the cover on unless I am at a show anymore to try and prevent it from completely failing.

I took my cover off, but mine failed a long time ago. Mien is totally dead, it said stuck open, so that would explain why the car is so doggy lol.

Thanks, i ordered the transistors and I am going to attempt this myself. Which transistor will it be on the circuit board?

Its the main transistor. The largest one on the circuit board. You can't miss it. You should see a little plastic allen screw that holds it down. Try to be careful when you are taking it off. They tend to break easily. You might also want to get a little package of silicon heat sink compound from Radio Shack for the new transistor. It's essential for proper heat transfer.

Well when mine fails cause its hott, the secondaries wont open, but I shut off the car for 2-3 minuites and its good to go.

Ok cool, thanks man. I will just get a whole new one while I am overseas and the engine is being built, that is if I do imrc with the 3l

just ordered a new one from Steve @ Tousley for $144 shipped, since i couldn't take mine apart. there was some strong hard as rock glue i couldn't get off. i ended up ruining the plug. :nonono:

Yes make sure that you take the time to get that glue holding the plug(which is connected to the circuit board) off without breaking it.... just work away at it and don't tug too hard.

Yes make sure that you take the time to get that glue holding the plug(which is connected to the circuit board) off without breaking it.... just work away at it and don't tug too hard.

well.... apparently patience wasn't one of my virtues! :troutslap: :blackeye:

if it helps anyone try to go to a junkyard and see if you can get a used imrc off a car to practice on first. had i not done that i would have destroyed a good one. i got mine for $14 at a junkyard in MO

Back